Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Temperature sensor/gauge problem...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Dec 21, 2001.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I just relplaced my temperature sending unit and it's a no go...still no temperature reading...Is there a way I can test the gauge I have before I drop $$$ on a new gauge... What other things may I have to trouble shoot to try to figure this out? thanks

Chris

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

2. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

If you take the wire of the sending unit, and ground it out, the guage should max out I believe, if it dosen't the guage is bad. Check with others but I think this is right.
    Ben 87 jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a>

3. 87K54WD

87K54WD 1/2 ton status

That is correct. Just ground the wiring harness that connects to the temp sensor and the guage will go to max if it is working correctly. Really have to get a good ground connection to make sure the guage will max out. So, if it doesn't do it the first time, make sure you try it a couple of times. If it still doesn't work, you might want to trace the wiring for cuts, etc before getting a new guage.

4. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    <font color=red>I had the SAME problem................

My crate motor came with a temp sending unit that did NOT work with the '77 OEM guage.
    </font color=red><font color=green>
    The guy @ Checker told me that in '89 the sensors changed resistance. My original sensor was the "large" diameter sender, but the crate motor took the "small" diameter sender.

What he told me was to buy a "small" diameter unit for a pre-89 and I did.

Installed it and it works just fine...............
    </font color=green>

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem as described below. I went to Northern Auto Parts (down the street from me) along with my ohm meter. I had them line everything GM up for me and went down the line until I found a match for the correct reading. They had a temp sensor by Standard, the number on the box is TS71. It pays to never throw things out, haha.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>The Blazer Boy Page</a>