Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Temporary Breakdown

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Resurrection_Joe, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Nevermind

2. Resurrection_Joe

So, it was sleeting/hailing tonight. It was pretty bad for this time of year. I had to drive 45 on the highway back home.

Odd weather, huh?

3. Resurrection_Joe

I made some awesome sandwhiches tonight at work

1. CODENAME: SOURDOUGH BURGER MELT - Dual 1/4 pound beef patty on sourdough with two slices of swiss and two slices of american. Fried onion for the win. Custom secret RJ tequnique makes for soft and decadant bread crispness with sof soft goodness in the middle. $4.50

2. CODENAME: TURKEY DELI DELUXE - Three pieces of regular ol' white bread. Mayo, ONE HALF POUND TURKEY, three tomato slices, lettuce, three pieces of american cheese and three pieces of swiss cheese. Layered expertly with my expert type skill. (No lie). Quartered like a club, but so much better than a club. $3.50 ($5.00 with fries)

3. CODENAME: TRIPLE DELI MELT - One half grilled ham and cheese, one half grilled turkey and swiss. Two outer slickes of white bread, toasted, with two slices of swiss cheese on one of the slices and two slices of american chees eon the other. One slice of wheat bread, dry toasted, in the middle, for stability. Ham between the wheat and american slice, turkey between the wheat and swiss slice. The sandwhich weighs like, 20 oz. It's ****ing reduiculous. $3.50 ($5.00 with fries)

Yeah, I rock.

4. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Darn it! I just gaind 5lbs READING that menu. Don't want to know what eating it would do :D

5. Resurrection_Joe

Deliciousness comes at a price, my friend.

I ate an assload of salads tonight. Imagine it. Saald bar access, anytime you want it!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

that would be glorious

7. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

They let you handle other peoples' food? :eek1:

8. Resurrection_Joe

Pshhh, let me? I'm in charge, I'm the one granting privilege!

...but to be clear, I have great respect for what actually goes out on the plates and what goes into the food. You never have to worry about your food being bad or off when I'm running ship.

Pattymelt!

9. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

I wanna drive down to SD just to have a sandwhich created by you.

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's a long drive. You will be hungry. Better get the Triple.

11. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Throw up a recipe for a properly grilled tuna melt, on sourdough, of course.

12. Resurrection_Joe

Well...

Make the tuna salad with light mayo and make sure to drain off all water or oil in the tuna. This will give you a more solid media to work with when acutally making the sandwhiches.

When prepping your bread for grilling, be sure to completely butter both pieces of bread from edge to edge. If you just butter the middle like a wanker, the middle will get soggy and the endges will stay solid, which plumps out the sandwhich and makes a mess, or a good middle and a burnt edge, which tastes bad.

Whey you lay down the bread on the grill (use a grill, electric, flat iron pan, very large frying pan, you need to get under it and have even heat) get the cheese of fast.

If you butter the bread properly, and get the cheese down fast, you will, in the end, have an evenly toasted piece of bread, and the cheese will be melted before you over crisp the outer side.

For tuna, I recommend light toasting the bread so that it has a "texas toast" type consistancey. E.G. - crisp golden outside, hot soft inside. I recommend this because, as tuna is a soft sandhich material, if you bite down on a very crisp outer bread layer with a soft filling, you have effectively made a very impotent tuna shotgun. Sad sad kiddo when your yummy tuna plops on down to the floor.

Heat the tune salad in a pan or in a microwave. Trying to get anything but a very thin filling layer to heat up from the actual bread grilling is semi insane. Don't try and grill a blob of tuna seperately on the grill, it's messy and stinks.

Use a decent cheese. Cheap stuff will extrude grease and make your sandwhiches taste bad.

Lay down some garlic powder on the bread if you want to. Everything tastes better on garlic bread.

If you get very good, chunk tune, you can do a nice light fold with the actual mayo, and it will be a lot nicer finished product, rather than have it be that shredded amalgam of poo that's ok for cheap white bread, but bad for the "melt".

Uhmmmmm....

Oh, two more things

1. If you're eating tuna cold, use real mayo instead fo miracle whip or whatever ****ed up mayo you like, and add quartered peeled grapes and sunglower seeds. Sound wierd, tastes nice.

2. If you can master light grilling the bread for that oh so soggy saturated feel, without making it a grease sop, try doing it with peanut butter and jelly!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  13. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Thanks RJ, I am a grilled bread master, and have long known aboot buttering evenly all the way to the edge. The first tuna melt I ever had was soo damn good, and I've never had, or been able to make another like it. I take chopped red onion and finely diced celery in my ALBACORE tuna, and a bit of best foods mayo (helmanns for you east coasters) a little spicy pepper and I'm off. I also like Elvises fried PB and bananna recipe, I'll have to try it with PB&J.

As for tuna melts, Ive always tried to spread a "bread shaped" layer of tuna directly in the pan to heat it up with a slice of cheese on top, but the cheese never melts before the tuna is done. So, I should do like I do but melt the cheese on the bread, a la grilled cheese? Anyhow, thanks for the inf RJ, hope yer feeling better, and if you PM me yer addy, I'll send you a jar of homemeade jam, and believe me, this was a great year for the best homemade jam you ever tasted.