Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Temporary fix for my cracked frame

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85scottsdale, Feb 10, 2004.

1. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

I have a cracked frame which is pretty bad, i'v been driving it for awhile on the street with it cracked I think but its not broken entirely. I don't have a repair kit yet but really need to drive the truck until I get the weld on kit. Could I just clean up as much of the crack as I can without pulling the box and weld it up good until I get the kit? Or would that be a bad idea? Or maybe I can unbolt the box enough and move it enough to get the whole crack welded?

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

You *can* weld it and drive it, but also, you *can* remove all of your engine oil and drive it. The biggest problem is if it cracks through the weld again in the meantime. Then there is some serious metal fatigue issues that will need to be looked into. It is better than nothing and I have seen worse.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Do some welding now and order the fix kit. If you have the cash or the fab skills, the steering box brace is a very good thing to have.