Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Temporary Front Driveshaft Removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigTex, Jun 22, 2003.

1. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

I'm putting in the 14Bff this week and its geared with 4.10s. I'm going to run the hogher-geared 6 lug front for a while until I buy the 4.56s for both diffs. What is the correct process in disconnecting the front driveshaft to drive around without it until I make the upgrade? Thanks in advance for all your help...

2. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

just unbolt it from the yoke on the rear and the yoke on the transfer case. it is a fixed yoke so you wont have to worry about spilling anything. or you could just keep the hubs unlocked and dont use 4wheel until you climb under to do the gears. I like your taste in trucks by the way. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Thanks, Ken! So if I'm understanding you correctly, as long as I don't put in in 4 wheel drive and don't lock the hubs, should I even worry about disconnecting the driveshaft with 2 different ger rations in the diffs? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif Thanks again, dood!

4. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

That sounds correct to me.

5. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

you can use one or the other, not both. like if you wanted low range for pulling something, leave the hubs unlocked and put it into 4low. it would be like have 2low since your hubs wont be locked. just dont lock the hubs and have it in 4 wheel at the same time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Just wanted to add a confirmation... so far these guys are right on correct!

Ken H.