Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

temporary gas motor to diesel motor swap? (smog)

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Rix_Gotta_Blazer, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Rix_Gotta_Blazer

Rix_Gotta_Blazer 1/2 ton status

ima from california. i am trying to avoid all the smog crap here. i bought a former diesel that has been converted to gas. the cab has been swapped on this k20, so it reads it is a "gas" motor now. in order for me to avoid having ot smog it, i must prove that i have a DIESEL motor in it. i CAN get a 6.2 temporarily. all i need to do is show the DMV that i physically have a diesel motor. they want to hear it and everything. my question is... what must i do to temporarily get this motor running? do i mount a seperate fuel tank? do i need a different charging system? how do i make it run with what i have now? your input is appreciated. thanks, RIck

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ima from california. i am trying to avoid all the smog crap here. i bought a former diesel that has been converted to gas. the cab has been swapped on this k20, so it reads it is a "gas" motor now. in order for me to avoid having ot smog it, i must prove that i have a DIESEL motor in it. i CAN get a 6.2 temporarily. all i need to do is show the DMV that i physically have a diesel motor. they want to hear it and everything. my question is... what must i do to temporarily get this motor running? do i mount a seperate fuel tank? do i need a different charging system? how do i make it run with what i have now? your input is appreciated. thanks, RIck

[/ QUOTE ]

I read your thread yesterday, and to tell you the truth, there is no easy way to do it.
    My truck is a 76 blazer originally gas and converted to Diesel and they checked everything, even the gas tank to make sure it's a diesel.
    As to wiring and stuff, my engine only needs the starter wired, but it's not a 6.2l GM.
    I think a few on here could tell you what the minimum would be to get it running but you WILL have to put diesel fuel in the tank.
    But it's no big deal since it's easy enough to clean it and put gas in it later.

Did you get a diesel secured yet?

3. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

aren't you the same guy that was claiming that the DMV was trying to screw you? But in reality its you trying to screw them. To answer your question there is no easy way to do it its alot of work to do conversion, then to switch it back.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd stuff a diesel in there and leave it in there...but that's just me.

Rene

5. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Ya me to.

6. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

yea Rene ya know when he puts the diesel in and hears that clankty cank and smells the fumes and checks his miladge he will be hooked :-)
    and i dont think its that big of a deal to do the swap and i have done 2 before but then agian mabe i am a little crazy
    if hes really only gonn do it for a week
    yea right /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    p.s. but to do it right does take some time and $$