Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

temporary shock mounts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jms, Mar 30, 2003.

1. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Well, after finally lifting the Lowrider 3 inches, I can't decide what to do about shocks. The rear ones are long enough to reach; final measurements will be after the rear D60 goes in, with shock mounts above the axle. The front ones were too short, but they're Bilsteins, I like them, and they're less than a year old. Articulation right now is not a concern, the parking lots here are pretty flat. So I decided to try out F250 shock towers to lower the frame mount 3 inches; here are some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've mounted them so that the shock is in the middle of it's travel range ( 6 inches total); angle is almost like stock. I figure once I finally make up my mind (and I'm leaning towards Bilstein 5100s), I'll get another set of towers and flip them for long-travel shocks; holes are already there for the mount. Anybody have an idea what overall shock length and travel range I should be looking for - springs are 3 inch TC's up front, back is 2.5 inch shackle flip, tires will be skinny 35's, and I have the longer brake lines in the garage but not installed yet; thanks for suggestions, michael

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Sorry for the OT question;

Which shackle flip do you have in the rear (and is that all you have)? How even is it with the 3" front springs and ORD HD shackles?

3. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

It's the 2.5 inch shackle flip. Right now it's dragging the rear a bit, maybe an inch or less, and that's with the back of the truck completely empty (no spare, no back seat, no boonie box or tools). But, the rear 10-bolt is going to come out very soon, and a D60 FF is going in. I thought I wait until I have the new axle in and load it up as usual to see how it sits, then check the driveshaft angles, and after all that correct everything with a zero rate, possibly with an angle machined in to correct for the flip.

4. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Anybody have an idea what overall shock length and travel range I should be looking for

[/ QUOTE ] Well since all springs are different and the weight over the front end varies, the best way to determine the necessary shock travel is to disconnect your front shocks and drive BACKWARDS up a ramp/ loading dock/ etc. Then just measure from the lower mount to any point on the frame on the extended side and then measure to the same point on the compressed side, subtract the compressed length from the extended length and that is how much travel you need. The reason I said to go up the ramp backwards is that it will shift more weight to the front end and force it to compress further, be sure to give an inch or so extra travel in the shock after fully compressed "just in case /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif" because these measurements will be at static and if you bounced while twisted up it will compress even further. Extended bumpstops will be a good idea once you get the shocks set up /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

If "articulation is not a concern", why the sway bar disconnects?

6. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

I do like your new shackles, though. That's next on my list.