Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tempted with body lift - good/bad...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Jan 27, 2001.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I really wish I had done a 6 inch suspension lift verse the 4 inch with my 35's I have a 78 blazer just for the record... I want to do a body lift... I mainly play in the mud but drive it daily... I have read all the posts I can find on theis issue... I have a few questions...
    How do you lengthen the gas tank filler hose?
    Bumpers... will they go up or down with the body lift? They stay on the frame and need to be lowered to meet laws right?
    And the tailgate springs do they need to be cut?
    What is this about the steering shaft pin??? I'm confused on that...
    I have decided I want the three inch just need to know where to get a COMPLETE kit... and new body mounts while It's apart...
    Anything else I should worry about?
    What's best to use to fill in the gap between the frame and body? What about the radiator and fan shroud how do yo ufix this problem???
    Thanks guy's!!!

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I'm probly not the best source of info on this, but no one else has replied. I have done two body lifts.
    How do you lengthen the gas tank filler hose?
    I've never had an issue here....a Napa store should be able to fix you up with a longer piece of hose if needed.
    Bumpers... will they go up or down with the body lift? They stay on the frame and need to be lowered
    to meet laws right? Bumpers will look silly in the stock location after the body is raised three inches.....no lift laws to worry about here in Texas. Some better kits include brackets to raise the bumpers also. Deffinately not lower on the bumpers. And the tailgate springs do they need to be cut? Not sure here.....I removed mine, a "lifted" spring mount could be fabbed I suppose.
    What is this about the steering shaft pin??? I'm confused on that...The shaft may need to be lengthened....wheel goes up 3 inches.....box stays on the frame. There is a telescoping of the shaft, but it probly won't "stretch" that far.
    I have decided I want the three inch just need to know where to get a COMPLETE kit... and new body
    mounts while It's apart... 4 Wheel parts, Desert Rat, Summit, etc....... Anything else I should worry about? Shift lever (automatic) will have to be longer.
    What's best to use to fill in the gap between the frame and body?Somebody makes "Lift Lips" to fill the gap in the rear.....check off-road magazines. Make some out of aluminum sheet.......don't worry about it....
    What about the radiator and fan shroud how do yo ufix this problem??? Lower the radiator/shroud...a pain. Cut off the bottom of the shroud.. or remove the fan and add an electric one......

Body lifts are a pain!!

Michael[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</A>

3. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

ok dude...this is the problems-solutions on my body lift...(i have an 89 GMC Jimmy- FYI)
    You will definitley need a friend or two for this!!!!

only took a day to install, but if you are from a "salty" area, you may have more trouble with the body bolts..

1. fuel tank filler-didnt have to mess with it.
    2. steering shaft- we tried to heat them up and drill out the nylon inserts for it to extend, but the joint pulled out of the coupler thereby creating a lot of slop, i just recently figured that one out...remove the shaft and tap the inner part out of the outer part. i think mine moved about 2" to be correct.

3. bumpres- i left mine alone because i plan on installing tube bumpers and will modify the mounts to look right when the time comes.

4. body gaps- i bought my body lift with the lift lips all for 50 bucks from a friend. they work really good and installation was a breeze..i got the little plastic fasteners from o'rielly for about 5 bucks..they look really good..

5. the lift came with a 3" piece of rod to weld on to the shift linkage..no probs there, just removed the linkage, welded, re-installed.

6. receiver hitch..this is where i had probs..i have a draw tite hitch and it made getting to the back bolts impossible, you may have to drop the hitch to get up through the frame to the bolts...that sucked
    7. my 241 t-case lever didnt require to much. ithas a piece of all-thread to adjust and i think i turned the big nut to adjust-real easy..just insure it will engage all gears..have a buddy move it and watch it underneath..

8. like a jack-arse, i cut the lift gate springs and now its hard as hell to close the gate..man its heavy..i found out later i probably didnt have to do it..oh well..

9. i removed the bottom half of the shroud (i know, it wasnt the right thing to do) and havent had any cooling troubles. if you dont want to do that, use a dremel and cut out part of it.
    10. brake lines-they should just extend at the master cylinder-also keep an eye on all the wires (ie. fire wall, tranny, tail lights etc.)
    summary-i kinda wish i didnt install it, but it does look pretty good the extra 3". the lift lips make it almost impossible to tell it has a body lift, but the bumper gap is a little unsightly. i would say the most important part is the steering shaft modification...be sure the two shafts seperate...like i said you may have to remove it to do it, but thats really easy!

good luck, if you have any ?'s let me know

AIRBORNE!!

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

No lift laws in TX? You musta never been stopped by DPS.
    Headlights cannot be above a certain height from the ground. I forget exactly how much, but my friend with a (now sold) ford f350 with 44's used to get tickets occasionaly for having the headlights too high.
    -- Mike

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Sorry, didn't mean to say there were "no" lift laws.....they just aren't enforced much...at least where I hang out. DPS probly just didn't like your buddy drivin' a Ford......[​IMG]

Michael[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</A>

6. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I myself am planning on putting a 3" body lift on my '88 K5. I am buying a 9" suspension lift and a 14 bolt axle, because of this, I plan on running 39.5" Boggers. I figured that I'd just slap the body lift on because the extra 3" will help and it's just sitting here in my bedroom. Let me know how things go. I have never installed one myself, but it seems to be pretty easy. I have taken note all the things guys have posted about body lifts. One thing I haven't been able to find are the lift lips. I have looked in a few magazines, but haven't been able to find any, who has them?

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Lift Lips - Mountain Enterprises - $51set of 4 + $8 shipping
    888-LIFT-LIP
    PO Box 890311
    Temecula, CA

Michael[​IMG]

8. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Thanks, that helps a lot.

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos