Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ten bolt carrier

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dick_landy, Apr 30, 2007.

1. dick_landy

dick_landy Registered Member

i split my 30 spline 10 bolt govlok carrier.my question is, can i just use a 28 spline open carrier and swap the side gears for 30 spline gears or do i need a 30 spline specific carrier?

2. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

You need the 30 spline carrier. The 30 spline shafts won't fit through the holes on the 28 spline carrier.

3. dick_landy

now where the hell do i get one of those? our wreckers suck balls.

4. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

(hi jack) is your name really dick landy or just the user name? I figure its just the user name but Ive heard a lot about dick landy and just got done ready an article about him in a muscle car mag. pretty cool guy, would be awesome to have the same name.

on the subject, I suggest getting an aftermarket carrier, like a detroit or auburn posi. traction will be better and from what Ive read on here the stock 30 spline carriers are nothing more then a bored out 28 spline carrier which makes it weak around the bearings. aftermaket carriers actually use a larger diameter bearing so that it is stronger in that area.

5. dick_landy

its just my nickname. all my buds started to call me that because i had a bunch of chrysler stuff(72 dart,66 polara wagon,72 town and country,69 satellite) that i used to build up. [​IMG]

well i dont really want to spend to much money on it because i do have 1 tons for it. but thats quite pricey to even put those in right now because i still need rims and tires,drive shafts etc. i just want to be able to get it back together to get me back on the road. it does double as my dd but you do have a good point and i may just do that if i can get one real cheap.

6. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

that motor is beautiful.:bow:

Im mostly a chevy guy but some of the old mopars are pretty sweet. chargers and darts are my favorites.