Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tenny's Build

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tennyohpc, Apr 25, 2007.

1. tennyohpc

tennyohpc 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, I have been lurking for a while now since I picked up an 85 blazer. I finally signed up not long ago and after having a horrible time trying to search for answers I went ahead and bought a membership. I must say it was a dang good investment.

Like I said I recently picked up a butchered 85 blazer that is riding on 42" TSL's and 8" superlift. The engine is a carb'ed 350 with the 700r4 and np 208 transfer case. I originally had a Dana 44 and a 14 bolt rear axle under it front was open and the rear had a gov-lock that never seemed to engage. While wheeling I blew the rear drive shaft and a u-joint on the front axle.

So I started the upgrades. I recently threw a Chevy Dana 60 under it. I have 5.13 gears, arb's for both front and rear. Ready to be installed. And getting my onboard air setup for the arb's which will have their own compressor and then I will run an old York for actual air for tools and tires.

My plans for this rig are to eventually along the way convert to a trail only rig. Thinking of narrowing the front and rear. I feel this will be easier then trying to remove enough metal to prevent rubbing. Im looking to go with a sm420 or sm 465 tranny and np 205(already have) and eventually 203/205 doubler with the 4:1 kit in the range box.

One thing I did notice with these rigs is that they are extremely top heavy. Is there any way to minimize this? Adding the dually d60 front and removing the top helps a little but not really enough. any recommendations on mods that will benefit my rig feel free to say. i actually have alot planned for this rig. but would take a century to list. all in all the grand total right now is around 15K.Well im sure you guys want to see my junk so here it is.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  2. Dunleavy2004

Dunleavy2004 Registered Member

Sounds like a great build. Nice looking blazer.:D

3. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

it is a nice looking k5

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Aluminum engine (or at least components) will drop sprung weight quite a bit, as will removing all the interior stuff.

I was able to get my truck down to 5000lbs when it was sitting on stock axles, by removing all the interior pieces. If you are heading towards trail rig anyways, ditching all the carpeting, sound deadening, side panels, etc., will lose a fair amount of weight.

Another idea is to use a pickup tailgate, and lose the top. Both are fairly heavy individual components.

5. tennyohpc

tennyohpc 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. It isnt the best looking but operational. The PO was a tard so wiring is a bit ifffy at best. plan on rewiring the entire thing. I am going to remove pretty much everything except the seats. Those are planned for removal also, but not until i get my racing seat's and 5 point's. I am going to line the entire thing. Narrowing it should also take off a bit of weight.

I did ask my usual builder about switching to an aluminum block, but he said that due to what we are doing the cast block would probally work better due to the strength. Next year I am going propane and will go with domed pistons at the minimum to up compression.

6. tennyohpc

tennyohpc 1/2 ton status

well i got the gears and arb's installed. also got my crossover steering installed. During my testing of my ARB's,I managed to put a few nice holes in my gas tank but smacking it on a rock ledge i came off of. the stock skid plate does no justice for those tanks, thats for sure. but we have since beefed up the skid plate with some 3/8" flat stock and will be tieing that into the frame as well. on my last outing i did find out where im actually hitting my 42's against and it seems to be the firewall.

Anyone have any idea's how to make it so i clear the firewall on compression. next year im going 52's up front so that will fix it but untill then i need a fix. also wheres a good place to get just springs from that are not as stiff as these dang superlifts i have on there now.

Ill see about taking some pics and posting them up for your enjoyment.

7. tennyohpc

tennyohpc 1/2 ton status

should be testing everything out this weekend. im trying to get a run setup. as for future modes im leaning towards the 2.5 fox air shoucks and just linking and doing away with the leafs all around. anyone have any input on this?

8. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Air shocks are not the best idea for a full size from what I have read. If you're going to link it go with coil overs. I can see this being turned into a buggy rather quickly, I know mine did. I run 52" front springs and 64" rear springs on mine and I have more travel than I know what to do with. I hit the floorboards right below the firewall with my 44's all the time. The only thing you can really do is cut out that area, limit uptravel or bend the seams flat and massage the area with a hammer until it's smooth so it doesn't cut the tires. Top heavy is something that happens when you have 8" of lift and 42" tires, you need to lower the suspension and remove anything you can from the body and interior without sacrificing structural integrity, function and safety. :D

9. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

This is what you might be left with:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The blazer looks great...

11. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

ditch the body lift. push the axles farther apart and keep cutting :)

12. tennyohpc

tennyohpc 1/2 ton status

Thats the plan. I am still undecided about suspension. I have seen a few people use the fox 2.5 air shocks. the fox coilovers look nice. Im going out today to test out the crossover. ill try to get some pics.

13. tennyohpc

tennyohpc 1/2 ton status

well on my outing my 700r4 bit the dust. wont shift out of 1st. so now i guess might as well get a sm465 and a 205 combo and throw it in the beast.

14. Dudge

Dudge 1/2 ton status

That's a nice looking rig

15. tennyohpc

tennyohpc 1/2 ton status

Well ive been thinking about doing a 52" spring swap and getting rid of the front clip and building my own.I think with stock springs and pretty much no fender i will be alreight with clearance. this is only a temp solution until i do coilovers.I did get my 465/205 so will be swapping that in as i gather up the rest of the parts.

16. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Well at least you have a good adapter now! :waytogo:

Good luck with the build. :D