Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tensioner on serp.setup- anyone ever mess with it- on accedent

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by COCHEV, Oct 7, 2002.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

how do these work. i think i put too much load on the belt messing with the tensioner. swapped the belt on the 93 burb for the first time and have never messed with a serp. set up before. so instead of reading my manual (shhhaaa.....right) i tryed to loosen the bolt on the tensioner pully with just gave it more tension. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif so how do i back it off and how do i know how much to do so? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif yes, this was a stupid dork move, let me have it. were's my dunce cap?

2. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Don't know if this is gonna help, actually I hope it dont, bbut I have a 92 Camero and the pully tension gismo is automatic and very quirky. After I stupidly messed with it the first time, I now replace it once a year. Although, they are cheap, Its a royal pain in the a$$. Good Luck with yours /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    After I stupidly messed with it the first time,

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! yeah this is where i'm at now. was hoping i don't have to replace it. how much are they by the way?

4. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

I have replaced hundreds of serp belts on different makes and models at my shop. As I recall your Burb should have a tensioner on top between the alt. and ac. compressor. It has two bolt heads on it. The one to relive the tensioner is probably 15mm and located nearest the pulley the belt rides on. Put a socket with a long breaker bar on it and lift the tensioner up off the belt. The tensioners are self adjusting and there is no way to adjust the preload. I have seen many bad tensioners like the one you have. Go down and get a new one. Probably 30-40 bucks, good peace of mind.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You can't increase tension.
    If you feel it's tighter, then it's defective, but i doubt it.
    It's just a spring and you can't make a spring stronger, only weaker.
    the way it works is you pull on it backwards to release the tension and replace the belt and then you let it loose, it's AUTOMATIC.
    IceMan

6. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

so whats with the arrows on the upper part- where the tensioner rotates? arrows indicate counter clockwise to load if i remember right.

7. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status