Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tent City

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bouncytruck, May 4, 2004.

1. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

King County just revealed their plans to put a "Tent City" on a vacant lot across the main street from the entrance to my neighborhood. This tent city will be about 1 block away from my home and house up to 100 transients for minium of 90 day. King County Executive, Ron Sims (exec.sims@metrokc.gov) attempted to set up the tent city without the local residents knowledge. His plans leaked out over the weekend. The transients are scheduled to move in on Wednesday or Thursday.

We live in Suburbia. There is nothing here for the homeless. No jobs, no food, no facilities, just hard working residents who live in the suburbs for peace and quiet. If I wanted to deal with inner-city issues, I would live in the inner-city! We will have these leaches of society roaming our neighborhood at all hours of the day & night. Most likely, the crime rate will increase and property values will plummit.

I am extremely upset about this. Both the fact that this tent city is moving into my neighborhood, and the fact that the county officials attempted to decived the residents and sneak it into our neighborhood. One official said that she mis-judged the neighborhood reaction to having a roaming community of transients moved into the area. How could she expect us to be happy about this?

My wife has been instructed to not answer the door when she is home alone. I am going to purchase security lights to put up around my house and anything/everything of value will be locked up at all times.

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Uh, I think I'd be looking at new houses! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

3. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Maybe you and your neighbors should all have a nice big campout on the city hall lawn for a weekend as a protest to show them what it's like to have your neighborhood messed up with a bunch of "transients".

4. Alaska K-5

Alaska K-5 Registered Member

Yeah something like that is just great for the value of the homes in your area....right....and they thought you guys wouldn't be pissed! If that city official didn't think it was such a big deal, then I wonder why they didn't errect this tent city in her neighborhood /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

Oh, yea, thats what every home owner wants. Time to get some barb wire, and a couple dogs.... /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

6. bouncytruck

[ QUOTE ]
    Uh, I think I'd be looking at new houses! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's going to buy a house in our neighborhood now? We owe around $245K on it. Valued at $280K in January. We'd be lucky to get out of it now with what we owe. Can't even find a home in the area for less than $260K now....

I like the camping out in the county offices idea...

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Squeeky wheel gets the grease. I'd have everybody write the local news media, the politicians, etc. I'd make as much noise as possible. The public has a short memory. The bigger stink you can generate, the more negative attention it will get. If you can find an attorney in the neighborhood, or find one who is sympathetic and will do it pro bono, you can get a judge to file an injunction stopping it. But you better get on it.

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Re: Tent City *DELETED*

Post deleted by 75-K5

9. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Where does Ron Sims live? See if you can get together a bunch of neighbors and take a Saturday and protest in front of HIS house. Invite the media and make sure you have signs explaining why you are there.

If it doesnt work the first time, wait a week and do it again. I'll bet with the medias attention things will change.

10. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Honestly can you say you would want to have a tent city with tons of homeless people in your backyard? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. bouncytruck

[ QUOTE ]
    That's why I hate suburbia. It's full of people with this uppity elitist mindset.

[/ QUOTE ]

Elitist mindset? Because I want my wife and daughter to be safe in their home, I'm an elitist? Why don't you send me your address. I will get a collection up to send the 100 transients to your house so they can set up tents in your yard, steal your property and urinate on your front door. We'll find out if all your neighbors are elitist too.

Let me guess, your also a vegetarian that wears a leather belt.
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

12. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That's why I hate suburbia. It's full of people with this uppity elitist mindset.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one of the stupidest things I've heard in a while.

13. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Let me guess, your also a vegetarian that wears a leather belt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I have a fur coat too. I don't think you shouldn't be safe, I understand you not wanting this tent city thing next to your house. What I didn't agree with were the words you used. People in the suburbs think they can just be shielded from the real world and shouldn't be concerned about the needs of the less fortunate. Now before you go calling me a liberal, I think people should definitely work for what they have, but have no right to feel that they are above those who didn't get so lucky. So what I am saying is that I agreed with your feelings but disagreed with the insensitive way you put it. Oh well who cares /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Screw me, I'm just a middle class citizen out in the boondocks who throws the occasional quarter to the sax player on the sidewalk.

14. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you hear written words? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

16. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you hear written words? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Same way I "hear" all the voices in my head. Just when I thought I could check this thread & argue a little, you go & make me laugh. Took the steam right out of my arguement. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I have a very good understanding of the homeless and they usually aren't the sax player you throw a quarter to. Since when is the suburbs not the real world? Those that bust their ass to make a safe home for their families should have the absolute right to have a say in what goes in their neighborhood. Just as those who live in the big city, or the most rural community should have a say. Compassion should be reserved for those who truly deserve it and need it. A significant portion of the "homeless" choose to live the way they do. Generally speaking, there are tons of resources for those who really want them. Sure, some fall through the cracks in some locations, but for most cities, the resources are plentiful. The problem is, most of your shelters and community outreach programs place conditions on participation. Simple rules like in by 5 pm, out by 9 am. No drugs or alcohol on premise. No criminal activity on premise. Time limits on the freebies. Measurable goals for employment. Attendance at job fairs and job training. Free healthy food but no crap food, and all kinds of other restrictions designed to weed out the freeloaders and help those who want to advance themselves. Guess what happens? A significant percentage of "homeless" don't want to abide by these rules. They want the freedom to come and go as they please, smoke dope, drink, and in many cases are just plain lazy. These aren't the ones who "didn't get so lucky", they are the ones who have the freedom of choice to get ahead, or remain "homeless". I could tell you stories ad infinitum of opportunities squandered or rejected by the "homeless". People who work hard for a living have the legitimate right to feel "above" those who are lazy or who by choice are irresponsible and make no meaningful contribution to society. Anybody who has a good work ethic and who is a good citizen should definitely feel disgust at those who are pariahs and who leech off the hard work of the majority. This isn't elitist, it is common sense. Those who have worked hard to earn what they have should take pride in that effort, not wallow in some guilt trip that they have something better than somebody else.

18. bouncytruck

Very well said, Desert Rat.

I'm sorry if I did not use "politically correct" terminoligy. I am extremely upset over the counties decision. Even more so, I am upset over their attempts to hide this decision from the residents until it is too late to stop. We had three days warning that this tent city is moving to our neighborhood and the warning wasn't given by the county officials. The plans "leaked" out over the weekend.

As of this morning, there are crews in the site preparing it for the new residents. These are the homeless people Desert Rat descibed as choosing to remain homeless. Our area has nothing to offer them. We are in the suburbs of the suburbs. There is one 7-11 in the area, a free way on ramp, homes & schools. No place for them to find work or attempt to change their situation. Our county executive, Ron Sims, is affraid to offend anyone so he has set up "tent cities" so the transients can live their lives the way they choose in a safe, tax payer paid, environment.

19. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Dont apologize about not being politically correct. Most of us are adults and dont need to be talked down to or spoon fed pretty words. What is happening to you and your neighborhood is wrong. Most homeless people are drug addicts and/or have mental issues often brought on by drug addiction. You have every right in the world to not want them living near you and to be angry about the way they are being "snuck" into your back yard. If you dont protest this now it will happen. Good luck getting it stopped! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Ah yeah HI... First off, I would be worried not about safety but about the whole property values (because others are going to feel the same way... when people move and others are shopping they will pay more not to move into the situation your moving away from).
    Second, things do get stolen... We live 1 mile south of the "CITY" in a small housing addition (I guess thats what you would call it, it was built in the 50's). 99% of the time you could leave stuff outside and doors unlocked and feel pretty safe. Getting to my point... Dad left his door unlocked one night the next day he got in the truck to get his coat and it was gone /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif He looked around and the only things missing was his snack crackers he takes to work and his winter coat... the check book, his work ID, tools and everything else was in there... WE assumed it was a homeless person that was looking for someplace to crash or whatever, he might have slept in the truck for a bit but the only things he took where food and clothes. No biggie, no police actions where taken, dad just went in the house and got another coat. From that point on though the house doors and vehicles where locked. So take that for what its worth or as you will, this could be a bad move on the cities part, it could affect property values or it may not be /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif