Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tent heater

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by 6.2Blazer, Apr 5, 2004.

1. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Looking for a heater to keep the chill out of the tent during those early spring/late fall overnight fourwheeling trips.

Brands, models, pro's and con's????

2. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

the coleman sportcat is a pretty good product, its a catalytic heater (surface doesn't get too hot, no exhaust) runs about $30-$50 if you want elec. ignition. it stays cool and is sfe for use in tents or vehicles, very quiet and runs on a standard mini propane canister. i've had pretty good luck with mine, in the tent with the wife and two dogs knocking it over. i've had good experience with most of the coleman products, so i would just shop around on the 'net, you may find it cheaper.

Description:
    http://www.coleman.com/coleman/SearchResults.asp

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I've got the Coleman Blackcat & ot works great!! One standard sized propane cylinder will last all night long. Made my tent and my travel trailer (no heater) very warm. I love it. Other than that works just like the Sportcat.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

black cat does tend to get hot- especially at full crank. The outter edge isnt very well protected, and is metal. (keep away from anything flamable or can be melted, like a tent wall.)

Sport cat is a little safer, but puts out less BTU's. Both are very good units, We used two bkack cats in freezing temps. Its hard to tell how warm the tent *Actually* got, because the tent was a 6 person tent with 5 people inside. NOt only that, a summer tent doesnt do much for heat rentention. Especially when your friend doesnt put on the fly cover correctly. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    black cat does tend to get hot- especially at full crank. The outter edge isnt very well protected, and is metal. (keep away from anything flamable or can be melted, like a tent wall.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I actually set mine on top of my stove, so that wasn't a problem. Don't remember about the time I used it in a tent. I am thinking it melted the floor in a 1"x3" area. Not positive.

6. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

I'd suggest this one. It's what I use and I like it because it has a low oxygen shut off and a tip over shut off, 2 safety devices I would highly recommend for use in a tent. I got mine at Home Depot. It's a nice heater. I usually keep it on low or else I get too hot.

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd suggest this one. It's what I use and I like it because it has a low oxygen shut off and a tip over shut off, 2 safety devices I would highly recommend for use in a tent. I got mine at Home Depot. It's a nice heater. I usually keep it on low or else I get too hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the exact one I have for my tent trailer. Had a loaner black cat and like this one better. Cost me $70 last year on sale. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

thats a niceeee unit.

9. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

Ived used the coleman blackcat. Very good heater. Kept me and 2 friends very comfortable in the mountains of colorado. Placement is key. The outer edge does get hot. One pound cylinder only lasts about 5-6 hours on high setting.

~Jason

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I just went to the sporting goods store yesterday- seems they have an even BIGGER blackcat heater now, that sits upright, looks like it can use two canisters at the same time. It looks heavy enough that it wont easily tilt over.

11. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Not to alarm you guys, but 'they' ( whomever they are ) found that catalytic heaters give off some particles of some sort that are linked with cancer. But everything causes cancer so its no big deal /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Any idea on how much exposure "They" say is a problem? About twice a year is all I use one for.

13. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

I didnt read about specifics. I read this on a forum for people who live in their RV's year round. I imagine you would have to be exposed to it quite often before you are even close to any danger. Even after reading what I read... I wont hesitate to use a caty this year /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

I've got an old Coleman white gas heater that works OK but I usually just fire up the lantern for a few minutes and it warms the tent up really nice.

15. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I use a blackcat. Works great. Just have an air vent, unless you like the idea of no oxygen in the air!!

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

go ahead and use the things... take a few pics of it in your tent and keep all your receipts for your camping spots etc... this way if it ever is proven to be really dangerous, you'll be in on the $500,000,000,000 settlement...

lol! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

17. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

In a really small space they can also generate enough water to make your sleeping bag damp. If they truly burn clean then they produce CO2 and water. A friend had this happen when he slept in his 4rnnr with one running all night. Rolled the back window down and had stalagmites of ice sticking up from the tailgate.