Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tentative plan for the "new" K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pugsley, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Tentative plan for the \"new\" K5

Well, I've got the plan figured out - going to basically build what I already had, but a little more sedate and emissions legal this time. Here's the basic rundown, what's everyone think?

Going to keep the 305 for now, with the addition of a few boltons (why scrap a perfectly good low mileage engine?)
    Add a B&M kit to the 700R4, and an anti kickdown valve.
    2½" Suspension with cut rear fenders and bulged "Ashley style" front fenders.
    33X10.50 BFG's
    Pretty much the same bumpers I had on the last one, with a slightly smaller profile
    Ditch the luggage rack (OK, that was a given)
    Full family style cage
    and basically just have fun with everything else - it's an 84 with 88K miles (mostly between my grandparents' house and the Safeway store 4 blocks away) and everything works, the only real problems I know of are a hashed washer pump, and the tailgate switch only allows "down" travel. It's also got that groovy purple "Lawrence Welk" window tint (tiny bubbles....) Anything I've missed that should be an area of concern?

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Re: Tentative plan for the \"new\" K5

was looking at your site, what does: "Big, bad and gone....Courtesy of the enviro-Nazis, My Blazer has fallen into someone else's hands." mean...it was stolen? Was curious when I read that. Sounds like a story...

I like your message, I like the real outdoors too, not the paved camp sites with bathrooms and designated camp fire areas.

Ok, that has nothing to do with what you wanted to know...I think your plan sounds pretty dang good. Nice solid, capable truck...well once it is all built anyways.

3. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

man pug's I love that duck! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

My Blazer fell victim to emissions testing - it was built in an area devoid of emissions requirements, and when we moved to a "low emissions zone", there was no way in hell to make it pass. It had no cats, no air pump, no evaporative can, no anything environmentally friendly - but it passed the sniffer and the dyno test, IN CALIFORNIA!!! Basically, when the tags came due I was screwed. Funny thing is, the clown I sold it to brought it back after finding out he couldn't get new tags on it in Phoenix - it's sitting in my grandparents' driveway basically waiting for someone who lives outside the enviro-fruits' clutches to buy it, or for a wave of common sense to wash over the intellectual giants at the Department of Environmental Quality.

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

That sucks, I cannot understand why if it passes the sniffer they care if it passes the visual inspection...WTF is that about? I thought they were worried about what came out of the pipes...doesn't make any sense, like most gov'ment laws.

I have mine registered in a non-emissions area of my state, since not all of WA is required to do emissions...yet. Although mine has hit the 25 year mark, so no more testing for me!