Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tera flex for a Blazer ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by globaljames, Oct 31, 2005.

1. globaljames

globaljames Registered Member

Anyone catch word of this. I had thought this was pretty much a jeep thing..... J.

2. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I'd be interested. I like their revolver shackles too.

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

pretty sure that jekbrown is running that setup on his truck. heres a pic from his photo gallery.

not sure if he likes it or not. or how well/reliable it is/works. seems to me they were designed for the weight of a jeep, not a 5000 lb k5.

ryan

[​IMG]

4. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I believe they discontinued the fullsize line.

6. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

It looks like he likes them in that picture. :D

7. globaljames

Yeah thats what I was looking for. From what I understand you get additional travel often requireing longer shocks if not limit straps. The jeep units looked wimpy. Maybe its just the way they look in general more moving bits to break and all thx J.

8. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

that write up makes them look good...wonder how much they used to cost. the link in that site is dead so i guess they dont make them any more.

9. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

I think there $185 or so for the jeep xj ones that fit a blazer, first search as these have been writen about.

10. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

poeple who run them from what i've read love and hate them they do provide some pretty awesome flex but there is a trade off, they tend to "unload" on you in uphill or downhill situations. i would also think that using something meant for an XJ on a full bodied K5 would change street behavior drastically....

11. globaljames

Load Unload
    My curent thought is you want tire to surface for stability / traction. So is the up hiil d hill thing so bad ?
    I am mostly a fire road burner with some flex obsticals to overcome on my way. This is Ideally how I want my rig set up. Of course there are money issues with the mandatory repairs and I like most am forever torn in finding that compromise.

12. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Yes, I have revolvers on my rig. A few comments/responses...

1) There was never any felt/perceived difference driving with revolvers on-road. They are relatively well designed in this regard... when the suspension is "resting" with the vehicles weight on it, the revolvers "arm" sits tucked into a block of UHMW (or something similar) that keeps it from moving side to side. This makes for quite a stable ride and never caused me any grief on pavement.

2) The ones I have were originally designed for a Jeep Cherokee. Those Jeeps are not especially light-weight... a full bodied K5 with top on it etc would be one thing.... but when I ran them I had no top, no tailgate, no interior etc. The butt end of my rig therefore probably weighed less than a full bodied stock Cherokee.

3) As with most things, Revolvers are a compromise. They do allow a TON of suspension droop, which is always nice. On the flip side they can "unload", or open up when you don't want them too. For me, this has never happened going down hill... but it has when trying to "bump up" and obstacle... instead of the rear end getting up a step-like obstacle, the revolver with just open up about half way when I hit the throttle. Doesn't break anything, just isn't as good as a nice 4-link suspension would be. Of course, the revolvers are a heck of a lot cheaper than a 4 link too. ;)

any other questions, lemme know. My ORD shackle flip and revolver shackles will be for sale soon if anyone is interested lemme know. I want to go with a shackle flip that allows plate-style shackles (DIY or BWP) because it allows more flexibility with respect to changing the suspension, which I tend to do all the time. :grin:

j

14. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

He may have them, but that doesn't mean you can get them.

Teraflex doesn't list fullsizes on their site anymore. That's a good thing if you ask me.

15. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Well I'm glad you filled us in. I'm very interested in getting a set. Are they actually making ones for K5's, or would we still just grab the Cherokee ones?

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

The Cherokee ones are your only option. I was going to send you a PM or email... but your settings don't allow either one. ;) anyway, if you want some Revolvers let me know via email/PM.

j