Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Teraflex Revolver , Reliability ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by willymonster, Jan 5, 2007.

1. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

im thinking about the possibility of revolvers for the rear of my truck . although im running a 454 doubler 60 14 bolt hummer beadlocks and 44 inch boggers and 1947 power wagon wdx body . my concern is the amount of weight being tossed around . now i was always sceptical of these on jeeps let alone a fullsize, but ive heard some more talk about them and it gets me wondering . i think 63s and these would be a great combo . but what about derability:crazy:

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Wow, if you have 63's why would you be looking for more flex?

3. willymonster

i want it all:D

4. RockinChevy

RockinChevy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm hearing a lot of people are tossing the revolvers out. there's a thread in here about pros and cons of revolvers. There's nothing wrong with wanting it all but I think you'll be happy with the 63s alone.

5. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

They are very unpredictable. Unload randomly, i think i heard something about them causing alot of axle wrap...

Search and youll find lots of info.

6. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

IMO, you will have more flex than you need with 63's alone. Besides, that's what lockers are for :D

7. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Not my expirance with them, This is not my own rig but I have driven two rigs with them on quite a bit. One rig is a scout traveller and another is a Dodge Durango-Ford bronco hybrid. Now these are both very long vehicles and mabey this helps them. Poeple say they unload but if you have a coilover with 18 inches of travel and there is very little weight on the back end they will start to unload to. I have two freinds with samis both had revolvers one still does and one does not. The one who got rid of them say they were the worst thing he had ever done to his zuk. The one who still has them loves them and says as long as he is leaf sprung he will leave them on.

They do have disadvantages, they do unload the suspension more than a normal shackel would, any type of device like this would. In full size rigs they tend to break the delrin(?) insert. Both my freinds carry spares with them. In these two examples they did not add any axle wrap.

I have watched both these rigs go down many steep hills in Moab and they usually unloaded very predictably usually at about the rate you would expect them too.

I honostly think if you want them and you have the money get them, if you don't like them try to sell them.

8. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was at Tera-flex a couple weeks ago and they were putting NEW full size revolvers on a blazer. The new revolvers are twice the size as the original j*!p's.

9. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

i wouldnt run them. after hearing and seeing what happens i dont thinkthe extra travel is worth it. with 63" you'll have plenty. and if you desire more link it.

10. willymonster

the only problem with linking it is BIG DOLLARS :eek1: im trying to go kinda low budge on this one :D

11. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

what about a buggy spring setup, or as some people call, 3/4 elliptic? Then you could always use a small atv winch to suck the rearend down when going downhill

12. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

to quote expert fabricator and 4wheeler, Randy Ellis, www.randyellisdesign.com "better to lift a tire than flex to the moon and break parts"

all of this extra flex requires running long travel driveshafts that are usually made for agricultural implements. They do not handle speed very well and fling their grease and the splines don't stay tight for a long life.

I had revolvers. I broke two driveshafts running these shackles. I know there was probably a combination of issues at hand:
    spring wrap
    questionable quality in the fabrication of the drivelines
    unloading of revolvers

I ditched them and I didn't break any more of my junk.
    Now I'm linked and run driveshafts that only have a little bit of travel that is needed.

The only thing good about revolvers:
    they are made of metal and welded together (I like metal parts and I like welding)

Save your money, lift a tire every once and a while, break less parts.

Why be breaking driveshafts because you had to have so much travel. We already subject our trucks to abuse that stresses axles, shafts, shocks, springs, u joints, trannys, motors etc. We rub our driveshafts on rocks, stumps, ledges etc. Why add another fail point and possible area of weakness to a truck?
    This is just my opinion. Just my point of view on a crappy product.

13. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

thats another thing. your saying linking costs money but so do the crazy 1410 cvs from high angle. dont use revolvers and you can get away with single 1410 u joints at each end maybe even less