Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Terrible electrical problems please help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazentank, Jan 27, 2002.

1. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

Help,
    I have an 82 Blazer. I stopped and turned the engine off. Ten minutes later the truck would not start. I jumped it thinking the battery was dead. No response from the starter. Then I bought a new battery, still nothing. No lights, starter response or noise, nothing. I traced the power though the engine compartment, across the fusible link and into the firewall. I have 12.5 volts every place it should be. I ran a line from the battery+ to the solenoid. It cranked.
    Under the dash I have 12.5 volts at the accessory fuse and the ignition wire on the steering column as long as nothing is turned on. As soon as I turn the key on the voltage drops to 1 volt.
    I tested the power door locks. When engaged, the locks do not move but they click and the voltage drops to 2 volts.
    I tested the headlights. I have 12.5 volts going through the headlight switch to the Hi-Lo dimmer on the floor (with the yellow dimmer unplugged). Again, as soon as I plug the dimmer back on to the terminal, the voltage drops to zero. It is like I have a massive short. Right now nothing works. Any thing that draws power drops the voltage to almost nothing, This my brothers 2wd were talking about here
    Any Comments or advice please?

"When you say i drive a fullsize are you calling my wife fat."
    J/K i was bored and made that up i don't even have a wife i'am only 17. <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by blazentank on 01/27/02 12:40 AM.</FONT></P>

2. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

It does sound like a ground problem. If all is at 12 volts give or take with no load, then you introduce load with no ground the circuit isn,t complete. Check your ground sources and also recheck the fuse link. Just for fun, throw your volt meter on the - terminal aand + on your chassis and turn something on. Do you get voltage?
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I agree with Shawnboy.
    Sounds like a possible ground problem, or a poor cannection somewhere, like a loose ground strap, loose ground bolt, loose battery terminals, or frayed wires inside the insukation.
    It might have 12v, but can't carry enuff amps to operate.
    In a case like this, where there is nothing working, I would check the main grounds first, also check the power lines too.
    It might be a internal short in the battery.

Good luck.

<font color=white>.</font color=white>Eric
    <font color=white>.</font color=white>Twizted

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

So what brand Alarm are you running? [​IMG] Now you either going WOW how did he know that? or your going what alarm? Well either way like the other said it sounds like a ground problem.
    So my next question is, when was the motor last out/appart?
    Passenger side head to the fire wall is a ground strap. It's off or rotted through. Cant be easily seen. Got to feel for it. you need a 3/8's course thread bolt 1/2 inch long. (9/16 wrench size) to one of the holes you will feel in the back of the head. Some are attached to the last exhaust mainifold bolt but to the head is better.
    Now getting back to why I think you have an alarm. Usualy when that gound stap is missing the engine will still start you just won't have lights etc. Alarms have starter kill relay's No Juice to the relay, no start.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

5. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

Yea he had a nice viper alarm so my dad ripped it out thainking that was the problem but it didn't help at all but it didn't matter because the alarm was already messsed up. Anyways he is going on his third straight night trying to figure this out thanks for all the replys.

"When you say i drive a fullsize are you calling my wife fat."
    J/K i was bored and made that up i don't even have a wife i'am only 17.

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

ALARM sys! -Good call Grimm!! - Now thats a thinking man for ya'.

Blazentank; So you know, next time please.....
    - Include all information that could possibly be related to the question. Like Alarms sys. for example....
    - Always check the last thing you screwed with first. (fundamental rule that is allways over-looked)

Now, I'm going to ride Grimms coat-tails here and say.
    Check the ALARM sys! - There should be a thick yellow wire under the dash, it's probably spliced and running into a relay.
    Remove the relay, and butt-cannect the wire. - Make sure that wire is in good shape and un-interupted.

<font color=white>.</font color=white>Eric
    <font color=white>.</font color=white>Twizted