Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Terrible engine news

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Yukon Jack, May 25, 2005.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

After getting exhaust on the truck the motor had noise that sounded like a couple rockers needed to be adjusted. I pulled the passenger side valve cover and my eyes were met with the sight of three rocker arms sideways. The second pushrod from the rear of the engine is bent up top a bit and must be bent very badly below as I can't pull it out. The other two pushrods where the rockers were off came out straight. I didn't even have the heart to pull the driver side valve cover.

What a terrible let down after being so close to the end. I guess the passenger side head must come off to get that pushrod out and see what damage is done.

:frown1: :frown1:

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

That sucks.

Was it a fresh motor?

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Maybe you can get away with just pulling the intake. Sounds like too much lift on the cam for the rockers and springs.

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

ahhh SH($*#@$_()*$##TT
    DAMIT!!
    Oh well, hang in there YJ it can be fixed. I would cry in my beer if that happend to me, then I would stand up dry my eyes and getter fixed :D
    Keep us posted...
    Burt
    PS ~ After today I will be off line until like Tuesday, going to Pismo fer da weekend :D

5. Yukon Jack

Well, I also posted over at 67-72chevytrucks and the general consensus is that it is likely that no real damage was done. Maybe I will be lucky and I can gently force the pushrod out without pulling the intake.

jiminycricket - the motor is a 1989 454 with about 120,000 on it. I changed the intake, cam, lifters, valve springs, rocker arms and a few other things. Has only recently been fired up and finally driven a couple weeks ago for the first time.

3 on the tree - the can and stuff was matched so there should not have been too much lift, but who knows.

Burt, I was so deflated last night when I saw this problem, especially since I don't know much about motors and had no idea what to expect. I feel alot better now and am eager to get home and mess with it. I'm sure hoping it turns out to be a little setback rather than a huge problem!

My jaw sure dropped when I pulled the valve cover.

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Man I hear ya...you and I both have been workin and slavin to get thease rigs back on the road. I bet its a minor set back :D

If it makes you feel better I drove my K5 to the other side of town, then my hydro clutch decided it didn't want to have pressure anymore :mad: I was stuck in an intersetion in Nuturel...I shut it off put it in gear, switched the dull batts to FULL and cranked it over in gear, fired up and off I went..shifting with no clutch...I get to my house and I need to pull into my garage with out stopping..I'm about to turn into my driveway and I guess I looked down for just a second ,, I start to turn and a freakin mercedies benz goes whizzin by me..dood I almot took that car out with my winch bumper...that would have really been bad..Thank GOD for making me look before turning :blush:

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well thats crap, sounds like too tight of rocker adjustment maybe or rockers too much ratio and rods were rubbing in heads too hard maybe

hmmm

i dont no how to goe too skooool

sorry couldnt resist

good luck

8. Yukon Jack

Hope the clutch issue is simple to fix. Real glad you didn't smack the Mercedes - that would have sucked to get foreign material on your rig :D

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hahaha my rig would have auto VD hahahhaaa

10. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear about the engine YJ. That sucks! And Burt beleive it or not I was gonna ask you about how that hydro clutch set up was working, and if you would recomend it. I bet that mercedes would sound like someone steppin on a bratwurst :grin:

11. Yukon Jack

Old Dawg - for the short distance I have driven my truck so far, I am very pleased with the hydraulic clutch. It is near effortless.

12. rudycentral

rudycentral Registered Member

Yukon Jack - good luck with finding your problem.
    I am about to put in my rebuilt 350 in tonight. I have run it in my 72 Nova about 10 years ago, but I have replaced my rocker arms and rocker arm studs. I noticed that my rocker arms had been slowly loosening over time. You may want to try some locking stud nuts when you get this sorted out. Your setback has me wanting to double check my preload on the lifters one more time.

13. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

Yukon,
    Your post gave me all the incentive I needed to tighten the valves on my newly rebuilt (4000 miles ago) engine. I had been driving for a week with a ticking noise and it was hotter than heck here.

I used an old valve cover with the center cut out of it and adjusted them with the engine running. Barely leaked any oil. :grin:

Best of luck.