Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

terrible squealing from engine

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K05Aggie, Sep 21, 2002.

1. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

My engine squeals. It only does it when the engine is hot. It's annoyingly loud, louder from underneath the truck. It sounds like it's coming from the back of the block. Sometimes when I turn the engine off the noise will persist for a second or two, like pressure is being bled off. When I'm driving it squeals at lower RPM's and lower loads. If I hit the gas or let off, it will go away. I know it's not the transmission(700-R4) because that was completely gone through this summer. It will do it in or out of gear. The torque converter is new. It started with about 2000 miles on some Castrol synthetic blend oil(15w-40). I have never used synthetic before. I disassembled and visually inspected the oil pump. It looked fine. I put some conventional oil(15w-40) in and it disappeared. Well, now, 2,000 miles later, it started again. So, it's oil related. My mechanic has 30 years of experience and he couldn't diagnose it. Any ideas?

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Well it happening after the engine is off tells me it is not motor related. Sounds like a transmission/torque converter problem.
    Its a bit late here, well its abit late everywhere! so Ill have to sleep on it. Ill get back to you later.

3. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

My truck does it now which is why I'm not driving it at all right now. Sucks since I just got that new motor in and now I'm just kinda waitin around for transmission money. My truck starts to squeal very loud only when I put it into gear. The higher I rev it while in gear, the louder the squeal gets. I've priced alot of places around here to rebuild the 700, and it would be cheaper to just buy one from that one website, lol I can't remember the website off the top of my head, but y'all know what I'm talkin about, it's got like 3 different levels of 700's. But then if I bought one, I'd have to have all the tools to put it in and then I'd have to go find something called a friend to help put it in, and I don't have any of those. I'd considered a T400 swap, but I'll have to hold off on that for a pretty long time.

4. Frank74

Frank74 Registered Member

Mine squealed terrible all of a sudden when I went around a corner. Oh great, Another fan belt I thought. I continued to drive on it and it got worse, and then all of a sudden stopped. Turns out I "melted" and threw the belt off because my Smog pump bearings were shot, so the pulley wasnt turning. Smelt terrible, but I got a new pump and belt and has been better ever since.

5. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

I did that with my ac belt a few months ago. I thought the whole truck was coming apart. A burnt belt and metal fan sure are loud as hell!

6. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Check your fan clutch. It would explain why it does it when hot because it would be engaged and it has different loads on it at different rpms. When the clutch on my 79 went out it would keep spinning after the engine was shut off and would make noise.

7. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

We took the belt off the engine and it still did it. I'm thinking I'll just have to change the oil every 2,000 miles.

8. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

just to be sure it's not ur trany u just have to take the bolt that hold the torque to the ring gear and push the torque in the trany (it will move a inch or so) just make sure the torque isnt going to move forward (use a coat hanger to hold it rearward)and star it up to see if still does it .

9. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

How new is your engine? A few years ago, I lost oil pressure and burned up my main bearings. It squealed pretty bad, although at first it was intermittent. I hope that it is something like a belt or even tranny related, but I think you should look at your main bearings.

10. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

The tranny shop said they pulled the torque converter back. Also if it was in the tranny the noise shouldn't have gone away for 2,000 miles starting the day I changed my oil.
    The engine has about 25,000 miles on a rebuild. I think it's the original block. The odometer says 53,443 so that doesn't say much. I'm not sure if I can check the main bearings. I've never done it before and my torque wrench is at my parents' house. What do I look for? My oil pressure has always been good.

11. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Dude if it still makes the noise AFTER you turn the engine off, how could it be engine related?? Or even accesory related? The fan clutch I could see. If you removed all the belts and it still did it, I stick with the Tranny having an issue, or something like that. Your Main bearings, rod bearings, cam bearings or any other engine related things will not make any noise after you shut the engine down.

12. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Sounds to me like a pressure leak. If it is not leaking coolant it may be air pressure. After you shut the engine down the pressure bleeds of in a few seconds and stops. Does the sound fade out before it stops or does it stop all at once.? If it fades out My money would be on pressure leak. Pressure leaks can come from the a/c, air pump, heads, intake, cruise control, and ga-jillions of other places.
    Not much help but maybe it pointed you toward the startiing line.

John