Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TERRORISM (The New Rules of Engagement)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 1-ton, Aug 3, 2004.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think Americans need to forget all past notions of how war was declared and fought in the past. This war is a different war because modern technology has made it possible for small groups of people to wage war on other nations. Today, it should no longer be necessary for a nations Government to be the instigators of an attack on America before America should declare war and attack that nation. America should declare war and attack any nation that its citizens are the perpetrators of an attack against America regardless of whether its Government was involved in it or not.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i dunno... sometimes i think going back to the past would be a good thing. Lets see the islamic revolution fight against a WWII-style America.

j

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How about America circa 1849? Talk about Politically Incorrect...handing out blankets infected with small pocks to the Native Americans.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

talk about old school bio-warfare!

anyway, one thing that WWII teaches us is that sometimes there are no alternatives other than all-out war. If we would have carried out WWII in some weeny fashion, we would have lost... and lost huge. Sometimes you have to look at the situation and think "ya know, bombing german population centers is bad..... but Hitler taking over the entire world and killing everyone non-german would be a LOT worse." Definitely a less-of-two-evils kind of situation.. an ugly reality... but sometimes there is nothing that can be done about it.

j

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    "ya know, bombing german population centers is bad..... but Hitler taking over the entire world and killing everyone non-german would be a LOT worse."

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget, most of Germany's industrial centers were rubble by 1944, so the Nazis turned to "cottage industry" to keep producing weapons, ammo, etc. But OTOH, there was the demoralize-the-people aspect of bombing population centers, especially the firebombing campaigns.

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

If only we could go back to a WWII America! This country was proud and strong, and had the backbone to do what it takes to win a war, and accept the losses that come with it.

My wife and I were watching TV the other day, a special on WWII and they were showing the aftermath of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. My wife turns to me and says "God, that's horrible, I can't believe we did that to those people!" I explained to her that a horrible problem REQUIRES a horrible solution, we did not WANT to drop those bombs, but then again we did not WANT to be bombed at Pearl Harbor.

No matter what liberal apologists and believers in "moral equivalancy" would have us believe, we DID NOT ask for 9/11, we just were not vigilant enough to prevent it. And we again have a horrible problem, for which we need to deliver a truly horrible solution, consequences to other nations be damned.

It's unfortunate that we as a nation just don't have the balls that we used to, or they wouldn't have dared any of this [darn] in the first place.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ...Sometimes you have to look at the situation and think "ya know, bombing german population centers is bad..... but Hitler taking over the entire world and killing everyone non-german would be a LOT worse."...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hitler didn't want to kill non-Germans. From what I understand, he had a real hard time grokking why the US and UK didn't side with Germany, since both countries are predominantly caucasion in their makeup. Heck, the US wasn't even integrated during WWII.

Not that that's terribly important to this discussion, but it changes the whole pretext behind the reasoning for the war, from "we'll do this so Hitler doesn't kill everyone non-German" to "we'll do this because what Hitler is doing is wrong." The pacifists had to try it their way first, through appeasement and beleiving that Hitler would keep his word; before those that were willing to do what needed to be done had the support required to take over the fight. Eventually what had to be done was done with extreme prejudice, as has to be the case in a real war that's going to have a winner and a loser.

Hitler would have stopped at nothing to change the world into his ideal of perfection; radical Islam is of the same ilk. Eventually we will get to a point that enough people will say "[darn] this" and once again what needs to be done will be done. The major thing that I think needs to happen before that can happen is that mainstream Islam needs to take a stand against the radical factions. Until that happens it looks too much like we're making war on an entire religion; we can never expect broad acceptance for that, whether it be true of false.