Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tesla Coils

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TSGB, Oct 1, 2005.

1. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Does anyone have one? I've been thinking about building a tabletop model, but I'm not sure what the cost would be.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd like too!

Never had a tesla coil,but I know someone who did--it was awesome!--I did score an old desk top "van de graf" generator from a local high school science lab--my friend the janitor there found it in the dumpster!--guess they got a government grant for lots of new "toys" and no one knew what to do with it!..I got it working--I could make my hair stand on end,and it was cool to have 2' lightning bolt like sparks jump to ground!..but I learned fast to keep yourself grounded while using it--it can and will deliver a powerful shock if your not careful!...I left it at a freinds house at a party one night--never saw it again.. :mad: :doah: ..

The tesla coils are pretty weird science--I didn't get to know much about the one another friend had--he bought it from a mail order scientific supply place--he fooled with it a few times,then when his dad saw it he took it away!..he was afraid he'd get electrocuted!...
    I guess the "tesla" guy who invented it was certain it could be used to send AC current thru the AIR without wires! :eek1: --and claimed he could use it to send messages worldwide on shortwave frequencies!.
    I've read an extremely powerful one could even affect or control weather !.
    I would like to learn a bit more about them-but the books in the library are way too technical for me to understand much of what they say about them...facinating things though! :D (no plans available online to build one??)..

3. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

There are plans everywhere, but I was wondering the realistic cost of one. And of course, if it's here, there's shortcuts, and advice for finding things cheaper!