Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TEST YOUR MECHANIC SKILL

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by purple89jimmy, Mar 3, 2002.

1. purple89jimmy

purple89jimmy Registered Member

I'll try to keep this short. I lost power steering that would intermittently return at higher RPM. First I bought a new PS pump, didn't work. Then I rebuilt steering box, didn't work. Then bought new steering box, still doesn't work. Disconnected steering shaft, spins easy. Jacked up the wheels and disconnected drag link, ab;le to turn by hand with ease (ie no binding anywhere) Only thing I can think of is that I was sold a bad pump. What are your opinions/suggestions? Thanks.

2. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

Re: OPINIONS ON VEXING STEERING PROB

One of my buddys had a problem like that a few years back it turned out to be a siezed ball joint .it broke inside the knuckle and he almost could'nt turn the steering .Maybe try to pop off the steering bar and you should be able to turn the hub assembly with ease try it on both sides and for the drivers side pop off the drag link and see if it the hub moves freely If this is not the problem then check all your steering tie rods for wear and cracks and hopefully this will help you find the problem...good luck.....

3. purple89jimmy

Re: OPINIONS ON VEXING STEERING PROB

Tried all that. Like I said, I removed the drag link from the steering arm and jacked the front of the truck up. Once it was jacked up I could turn the wheels from side to side with ease. Anyone else got ideas? I think it is the steering pump, but I just wanted confirmation from someone else who knows what they are talking about before I pull that pump once again (it is a PITA to remove that pulley without the proper tool!). Thanks for the reply 1BAD88, I can't believe I still have this prob after new tie rods, ball-joints, draglink, steering arm, box, and pump!

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Was the pump the style where you reuse your old resivior? did it come iwth a new fitting on the back of the pump that the pressure line connects to? That peice regulates the amount of pressure the pump sends to the box. If you reused it that's your problem.

5. purple89jimmy

I did reuse the reservoir, but it came with a new pressure valve. Is there a way to test the pump?

6. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Is your belt slipping?

7. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

Just a thought .Check the metal lines that go from the pump to the box for kinks .If you did'nt use new lines they could be clogged...........

8. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Is your belt in good shape,not glazed or anything.

9. 4xmac

4xmac Registered Member

Did you bleed the air out of the system real good?

10. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I would make sure that ALL the oil and grease is off the pulley then throw a new belt on...a belt CAN slip with out making any noise...just a thought...I also agree with the statements about the hoses...give them a good inspection...maybe one is kinking up when HOT? just a thought again...

Chris

11. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Ok, I know this is out there but maybe...

Try looking at the axle joints. I've seen axle joints that (when bad) will be locked up on one side of the trunion(sp?) and free on the opposite side. Because they can rotate while driving you might be feeling the bad side occaisionally, this might explain why sometimes it's better than others. Just a thought.

Even if you tear it apart and that's not the problem, it can't hurt to do a little maintenance and also give an opportunity to closer inspect the ball joints and such.

12. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

could be the new defective pump. i had a similar experience. I put all the steering stuff in new from box to hoses to pump. had to rev it to make it "catch". called the guy who rebuilt the box and asked me if it was only hard to turn in one direction or both. if it was only in one direction it was the box, both dirrections it was the pump. pump that i had gotten new was bad.

try it

ARQ.

13. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

when you installed pump pressure valve are you sure you removed little plastic plug that they cram in there to keep dirt out

14. 85GMCJimmy

85GMCJimmy Registered Member

I had the same problem as you, my problem was that the drive pulley was not pressed on tight enough. Mine would barely steer at low rpms but once you get them up, it would be fine. Thats just an idea, i know it sounds to simple to, but its a possibility,

15. purple89jimmy

WOW, thanks for the replies. I put new hoses on, but the belt does need replacing. I also thought about the pulley, but the pulley bottomed out when I put it on, so I know it is on all the way. Plus it gave the pulley installer a workout so i know it is on tight too. I think I will change the belt and if that doesn't fix anything I will go ahead and replace the pump with another new one. Is there a way to test the output pressure of a PS pump? Wouldn't that just be hilarious if I spent over $300.00 for a problem that could have been fixed with a $10.00 belt?!! You gotta love learning things the hard way!

16. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Heck, I'd so something simple first like disconnect one of the PS hoses and check to see if anything is even flowing!

I dunno what the CFM is supposed to be, but I figure it cant be that low, its gotta generate enough pressure. If you can block it with your finger, I'd probably say there's something wrong with your pump. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Another idea is to disconnect the output hose from the gearbox first... see if the fluid is gushing out. I would almost care to venture that perhaps something is stopping the fluid? (Maybe a kinked hose, etc?) Just a thought.

17. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

make sure you bleed it correctly, you have to manually spin the pully the oposite direction as the motor turns it untill the level does not go down any more. that is how it is done on my 80 GMC. slow down throwing parts at it, it gets expensive.

18. purple89jimmy

Well, as I suspected Autozone sold me a bad PS pump. I got another one from them, bled it, and it works perfect. Just to clarify though, I don't "throw parts at it" trying to find out what was wrong. Everything I bought was needed. The ball joints were adjsted out and worn, the rod ends looked like they had never felt grease before and the pressure cylinder of the steering box had a badly grooved section of cylinder wall from the teflon rings getting too hot and expanding. So now I have a completely new front end. I still have a little bit of play, but I suspect that is from the steering shaft slip joint. Anyone ever change this out?