Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Testing a Relay (fuel pump related)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bobsurf, May 7, 2003.

1. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

It's actually not for my Blazer, rather my 75 volvo. But none the less, how does one tell if a relay has gone bad?

My fuel pump no longer pumps fuel and I'm trying to tell if it's the juice or the pump itself. There are two relays involved, and both have 5 connections. Do I just test for continuity? Do I need to find which connection is the lead in, and which one is out to the pump?

As always, thanks in advance.

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The easiest way I can think of is to check the power wire to the pump with a circuit tester or voltmeter. IE immediatly when cranking the engine check for voltage. Some systems will shut the pump off very quickly if the engine doesn't start.

3. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Yep, had actually tried that last night, but I previously blew the fuse on my multimeter. Just trying to fill up the arsenal for my next attack on the system. If there is no power there, then I have to go up the line to the relay.

THanks

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Test the lead at the pump that way your getting it after both relay's. Then work your way back.

I just read this section in my shop manaual yesterday and depending on the FI you have when you turn the key on it will run the pump for 5 seconds and if there is no oil pressure it will stop. On some systems it will run for 20 seconds. This was fix for a vaper lock problem on some of the HD trucks like 1.tons and 3/4 tons with 454.
    Check your fuel pump ground as well.

5. 91k5NC

91k5NC 1/2 ton status

the relay should click when you turn the switch on.