Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Testing the resister on a CUCV

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 84CUCV, Apr 18, 2006.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I think mine is burnt out. So how do i test it thx mike

2. 84CUCV

Just thinking about it. Cant i just get ride of it and take 12v off the block right above the relay? that would work right??

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you ran that 12 volt from the junction block to the relay and then to the GP's that'd be OK. The GP's draw some pretty heavy amperage when they're glowing, you definitely want the relay. So if you supplied the 12 volt power to the relay, ditched the resistor it should all be good. I'd try it, and test what kind of voltage you see at the GP's again. If you're getting 12 volts at the GP's you should be good...and it should start.

Rene

4. 84CUCV

OK will try it thx

5. maynardogle

maynardogle 1/2 ton status

On a military version, where you haven't replaced the starter, and the batteries have to stay in series for it, why dont you guys just take out the resistors and run a separate feed from the + terminal of first battery to the relay. That way one or two open plugs won't raise the voltage to the remaining good ones and kill them off one by one. IMO any way you look at it the resistors are a dumb design and anything you can do to get rid of them is better, even if it means running your GPs off of one battery until you can afford to replace the 24 volt starter.

6. 84CUCV

I have everything to make it 12v. i was just trying to make it run before i did anything. thx for the idea. i dont see why it wouldnt work