Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Testing the school, could use a hand

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, May 28, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd like to test my local high school. We have a rock at school. Not sure if anyone is familiar with the concept of this but there is a large stone out front of the school that people are allowed to spray paint things on. You know, go football team, happy birthday so and so, support our troops was on there last year(thanks to friends of mine). As of late the school is censoring the rock more strictly. I often drive by and its just mostly black. In a nice neat square that you can tell the janitor went out and covered something. Right now it says "Praise Jesus". Being as I am not Christian I don't particularly like that, but see nothing wrong with people expressing their beliefs like that. However, I have a feeling if it said something similar but non christian it would be covered up in a heartbeat. I'd like suggesstions of things to paint on there. My first thought was, "Praise Darwin".

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

seeing as the goal isn't to start anything, I'm gonna wait till someone paints something else over the Praise Jesus, then do this. I don't want to cause trouble with Christians or anything like that, the goal is just to test the schools policy makers.

3. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

If you really wanna get testy draw a backwards swastika. I read that several months ago some people drew a few swastikas on a Jewish building. These people were caught but were not charged with a hate crime simply because they messed up and made the swastikas rotate the wrong way. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    That is all

4. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Censor the rock? Wow, it sure is great to live in a country where we are told what we are and aren't allowed to say. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

backwards swastika is an ancient and spirtual thing but in modern society in this case it would be an obvious inflammatory, I think Praise Darwin will work fine.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd like to test my local high school. We have a rock at school. Not sure if anyone is familiar with the concept of this but there is a large stone out front of the school that people are allowed to spray paint things on. You know, go football team, happy birthday so and so, support our troops was on there last year(thanks to friends of mine). As of late the school is censoring the rock more strictly. I often drive by and its just mostly black. In a nice neat square that you can tell the janitor went out and covered something. Right now it says "Praise Jesus". Being as I am not Christian I don't particularly like that, but see nothing wrong with people expressing their beliefs like that. However, I have a feeling if it said something similar but non christian it would be covered up in a heartbeat. I'd like suggesstions of things to paint on there. My first thought was, "Praise Darwin".

[/ QUOTE ] Right there it can open a big ol can of worms. Most schools are state funded. Now through in the seperation of church and state, someone could complain big time about any religous thing painted on that rock.

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think Praise Darwin will work fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like you're test is to find out if the school politicians (administration, whatever) are favoring christianity.
    I always think it's kinda funny when I see people swinging "Darwin" around like a baseball bat just to say "dogma is silly".
    Few people actually study his work and actually know how weak his theory of evolution was. To say "Praise Darwin" shows you're simply being inflammatory. It will most likely be painted over because it's not a genuine statement, simply a rebellion against another statement. More simply, folk that claim atheism and darwin as thier champion claim not to praise anything, so painting "praise Darwin" is an open mockery and not a legit test case. You'd get the same response if you wrote "this school sucks monkey brains".

ok, off the soapbox... Why don't you try something that would appear legit and "counter" to the offensive praise Jesus?

"Praise Allah and his Prophet, peace be upon him."

Listen, I know this is going to sound like I'm picking on you, but I'm really not.
    If the rock said "Praise Allah and his Messenger", would you say the same thing below, substituting "Christian" with "Muslim"?
    [ QUOTE ]
    Right now it says "Praise Jesus". Being as I am not Christian I don't particularly like that, but see nothing wrong with people expressing their beliefs like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gifYeah, what Ratch said /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Make it neutral, maybe something like a smiley face. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    Whatever you put on there though, smear a thin film of Vaseline on it so whoever tries to paint over it will have a little trouble. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

see I thought of Allah but I saw them doing something like claiming its inflammatory with the climate of America towards muslims. Another thought was "Praise Buddha".

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Make it neutral, maybe something like a smiley face. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    Whatever you put on there though, smear a thin film of Vaseline on it so whoever tries to paint over it will have a little trouble. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ] you are missing the point. As Z3PR pointed out, really Praise Jesus should not be allowed to be on there, but it is, and they won't touch it. I know our schools leaders. Thats why I want to do something and see if they paint over it.

12. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

they probably wont get p[issed about budda. Whats not to like about him?? His a bat guy that smiles all the time. Iverytime I see a statue of him I cant help but laugh.

13. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Hmmmmmm.....

You say you "see nothing wrong with people expressing their beliefs like that" but your first reaction is to riducule them and write something hostile to their beliefs just for fun.

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Why not just write something that you believe in? If it get's covered up then you could make an honest complaint that has substance.

If your goal is just to piss someone off then people will see you for what you really are ............

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    a large stone out front of the school that people are allowed to spray paint things on. You know, go football team, happy birthday so and so, support our troops was on there last year(thanks to friends of mine).

[/ QUOTE ]
    So clearly, it's not the school painting these things, but people, and the school is just censoring it.

[ QUOTE ]
    As Z3PR pointed out, really Praise Jesus should not be allowed to be on there, but it is, and they won't touch it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but how much do you (or Z3PR) know about seperation of church and state?
    Would you mind if I quoted the U.S. Constitution, the law that spurred people to make up the "seperation of church and state" (the only law, btw)?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

If you're going to rock the boat, you should really avoid standing on political myth, folklore, and misperceived statements that become "doctrines".

Looking over this thread again today, I don't really understand what the problem is. Why get worked up when someone expresses something harmless to people that may or may not understand or agree with the expression? Especially something like this where it's a billboard for people of the community to have a moment on? There was nothing offensive about the phrase, it's not likely there to piss someone off. Sure, maybe poor choice of venue because people would feel thier school resources are somehow being used to promote religion, which is always an instant hot button.
    I'm a christian, and to be honest, it wouldn't bother me to drive past our rock (one of our schools has a rock like this also) and see some religious expressive phrase I thought was silly. I probably wouldn't think much about it after my eyes left the words.
    Something on there that's obviously directed against a particular view would bother me, though.

Would it equally offend you to see "We love the Steelers" if you're not a football fan? I'm kinda beginning to think that you perceive some unfair preferential treatment toward christians, and that's really what's bothering you.

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    No offense, but how much do you (or Z3PR) know about seperation of church and state?

[/ QUOTE ] No offence taken on my end, cause I sure don't know much on this issue. I know they arn't alowed to prey in school anymore becouse of the seperation of church and state. That's where I based my first post in this thread on. I try to stay neutreal on issues like this becouse it can get heated quickly. Personally I don't see anything wrong with something positive about Jesus painted on the rock, I was just saying it could be a possible issue with the seperation of church and state.

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Save a virgin, screw a MILF.................

17. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I understand completely, I'm not trying to ruffle feathers!

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you just don't get it, I have had a lot of problems with my school. And a lot of it dealt with censorship and the way they deal with things. If its not 100% mainstream they shoot it down. If you read any of my posts you noticed the point is not to make anything against Christianity. No I am not Christian, but I do not like to put down those who are. I'm not sure if I mentioned it but I think I will wait a while(let someone else paint it first) before trying this. Just the seperate the topic of faith from the topic of censorship. It is all a test of the school itself. As for the Darwin topic, our school has had a lot of crap go on around creationism vs. evolution. So far as to have a student sue the school district over it. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Thats another topic though.

19. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you just don't get it,

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand completely. See below:

[ QUOTE ]
    I am not Christian, I do not like to put down those who are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your initial post stated that you wanted to personally insult the Christians who painted a religious symbol on the rock that you didn't agree with.

Insult = Put down

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Career hint: Rocket science isn't for you. Try McDonalds.

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

right, quote where I said I wanted to insult Christians???? I said I wanted to get at the school and put something non-christian on there. You take that how you like it but what was meant was simply that this country is primarily Christian and thats why I think they didn't censor the "Praise Jesus" I'm saying if it were say "Praise Buddha" they would censor it, and that is what I would like to know, whether they would or would not censor it. I said many times here that I do not want to insult the Christian people who put "Praise Jesus" on there, maybe you need to learn to read.