Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Testing waters ......Dollar might be for sale

Discussion in 'General Parts for Sale' started by Grim-Reaper, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well I didn't get to wheel Dollar much at all last year. Several things have changed in my life. While the local wheeling is fun I want to get my kids out to see stuff more impressive then Tellico. Stuff like the painted desert and Yellowstone.
    I have the desire to build something new that I can do some cross country travel in with a camper in tow as well as being a camper for back country adventures. I really enjoy the build and What I'm looking for Dollar can't provide. If I don't sell Dollar it will end up not much different then Watsons ORD Jimmy.

Well there are very few vehicles that can do what I desire to do and most say Unimog on them. I have the bug to build a Unimog camper out of a U1300L. It fits the bill of what I'm looking for. It will get around 13mpg hwy with the camper body and Airstream in tow. It will be capable of going to Baja Mexico and possibly farther south. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Anyway like I said "I'm testing the waters" to see if anybody is interested in my truck and looking at finances. Few things have to go if I do this so I need to see if there is any interst in Dollar fo anwhere near what it has into it.

Yeah I may have paid a Buck for it but I have way more in it now. Just some quick adding in my head it would take an easy $10k to duplicate not counting labor.

It's ugly! it has been massaged all over at Tellico.
    Here is what it has. Remeber I built this as a budget rig and the goal was to keep it streetable and civil so it was built with 35's MAX as a tire size. It's running beefed half ton gear as a result.

What it has
    Rear: 12 bolt 4:10, Detroit full case locker, AZ Kicking Disc brakes with Caddie calipers. http://coloradok5.com/atrondiskbrakes.shtml
    Home Brew shackle flip with mix and match spring pack. It sits level with hard top and about 300lb of gear.
    Front: 10 bolt front, 4.10, EZ locker (the one they got sued over and good), Warn alloy shafts, CTM joints. Ranco Lift spring, ORD Zero rate with axle shifted forward 1 inch.
    ORD steering brace
    ORD disconnects
    ORD 1 inch body lift with Daystart poly bushings
    Custom expanded steel grill
    Custom bumpers with winch deck for WARN winches (I will be keeping my HS9500i)Set up for Clevis front and rear.
    Rocksliders that bust granit. Also stor 8 gallons of air at 140PSI for months.
    35x12.50x15 BFG KM's on Black 15x10 rock crapwelers with less then 5k on them. They look new and very few trail miles on them.
    NP203 has been gone through and it's running a Mile Marker shaft replacement part time kit and replacment chain. Shifter is rebuilt. http://www.coloradok5.com/milemarkerpt.shtml

TH350 have been fully rebuilt including reman converter all new clutches and steels. It's built mostly stock and has not given me any trouble in 15,000 miles of service.

Hayden 19k stack plate tranny cooler.
    Hayden tranny temp gage.
    Sun Pro tach.
    Specialty top http://www.coloradok5.com/stcreview.shtml

Seats are from a Mini van and feature captains chairs in the front. Drive seat had some welding boogers hit it an put some holes in it. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif http://www.coloradok5.com/packitup.shtml

the one and only K5 Barn door tailgate with double Jerry can holder, spare tire rack and high lift rack.

Home built roll cage. Not great but 1000 times better then nothing.

350 engine lower 48 emissions (no cat factory).
    Has a Kelsey hays brake controler that is functional but needs to be wired correctly.

Rock lights monster skid plate on fuel tank made out of 3/16 boiler plate.

Everything on this truck has been gone through in the last 5 years. axles, case, tranny all resealed. all vent lines extended.

It does need new valve guide seals ($30 in parts including new valve cover gaskets) and the motor has some miles on it. Great oil pressure and other wise solid. Carb is rebuilt and coverted to electric choke. Runs fine on the road but does have some noe up stall issues.

Doors are set up for quick removal.
    Bad:
    Has an igntion problem that is replated to the distributor. I was preparing to convert to fuel injection so it has not been corrected.

Body by tellico applies and not a straight pannel on truck.

EXTRA'S going with the truck.
    89 454 TBI that need to be installed. I have all the parts except the MAP sensor and EGR control solonid that I wasn't going to use.
    2 spare rear axle shafts
    1 complets set of front axle shafts and a second almost complete set. Second set needs a stub shaft to be complete.

Spare 4x4 powersteering box
    2wd powersteering box for cross over.
    D44 flat top knuckle
    Hood that needs paint but is straight (one on truck is bent)
    Passengerside door for making half door. I have a set of rear 1/4s I was going to make some skins out of that I can include.
    Spare rear driveshaft.

Iwas looking at replacing rear axle shafts with some aloys

What's not going is my recovery gear, storage boxes, alternator and other parts that also serve as travel back ups for my Suburban in the pack write up. My big AUX lights in the grill, Wink Mirror, CB.

This truck would have no problems on a several hundred mile trip if it had a good distributore dropped in it. I have made many such trips in it including towing a car from Knoxville to Atlanta. It will happily cruise all day at 70mph with the 4.10s and 35's. It rides betterthen stock on the hwy other then you can feel the Detroit in the rear sometimes. This truck has never been trailered to the trails and other then a clogged fuel filt it has never given me any major problems till this distributor started acting up.

Parking brake has not been hooked back up after disc conversion.

It's due for a oil change but other wise ready to drive.

I have well over $10k not counting labor If you had to pay somebody to put this truck together it would be well over $15k to do it.
    I'd like $6,000 but might take a resonable offer less than that.
    [​IMG]

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Someday , when the kids are grown up, you will miss your truck. I had a black monte carlo as a kid that was really in great condition bodywise that I should of kept, would make a great cruiser now! Someone will want your truck rest assured of that, I would love it myself if I had anywhere near enough to really offer you something for it. All I can say is if you do sell it try to find someone who would appreciate it, and understands that k5's ( any REAL vehicle for that matter ) have a heart and a soul!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. Grim-Reaper

I'll miss it yeah but it is not what I want to do. I have two directions I am being tugged. One is full on rock crawler and make it as light as I can. Problem is very few trails anywhere less then 2 hours worth having a rig that built. I like them streetable and it wouldn't be.

The other is less hardcore wheeling and more travel to places where 4wd will be needed. This also includes taking my wife and two kids and 2 week or longer excursions to new places. Dollar is just not what I need to do this.
    I want something like this.
    http://www3.telus.net/heibar/miragemog.htm
    That is a U1300l ex military Mog with what started out as a ambulance body. The body had 14 inches added to get head room up and csutom rear.

It started out looking like this.
    [​IMG]
    With this body.
    [​IMG]
    The Unimog is local to me.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Mog's are sweet rides, but won't you need a crew cab version? Where are the kiddies gonna sit? Gonna make 'em sit in the camper so mom and dad can have some peace and quiet? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thanks Grim, I now have a new wallpaper. Sometimes you've just got to buck up and do what ya gotta do. So I understand completely. I've sold 5 trucks and not really missed any of them. I guess I dont get as attached to the damn things as I do to...say...people or trips! I think the mog idea is SAWEET! Someday when i'm an old fart like you /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif, I'd like to do something similar. I really have no idea why I even have a lifted locked rig in Illinois. Wheelin? What wheelin? And the folks I know with "trailer queens" get to use them 4 times a year, if that. Not worth it, IMO. However I dont have the bucks or inclination to buy your truck. I just wanted the inevetible group of people that are going to tell you to keep it to have some competition.

Bryan

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Face it, your just mad Jeff has the Pinz and you're still driving something "normal" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Good luck, hope it sells quick for you.

7. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I understand the whole, "You gotta do what you gotta do" thing. I just sold my K5 that had a ton of my blood, sweat and tears sunk into it. Not to mention ALOT of money that I'll never even get close to getting back. But it was the best option for me and my family at the time.

It was definitely a bittersweet moment when he pulled off in it, too. I've had some good times and bad times in that truck and I'll definitely miss it. But, at the same time I'm really looking forward to the opportunity of starting over with something that is going to better suit my current needs of daily driver / weekend warrior.

Good luck with whatever decision you make, it won't be easy.

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

.....Don't forget the national media coverage: CK5 Calendar feature truck (October 2003)!!!

Is the "hood ornament" included in the deal.....? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Stop yer cryin Bryan! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

10. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    Face it, your just mad Jeff has the Pinz and you're still driving something "normal" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Good luck, hope it sells quick for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

That thing?.,...heck it's just a screwed up VW buss that they put the motor in the worng end and made you sit on it!

The pinz is cool!!!!!!!! I like it but not quite what I'm looking for.

11. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

12. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    Mog's are sweet rides, but won't you need a crew cab version? Where are the kiddies gonna sit? Gonna make 'em sit in the camper so mom and dad can have some peace and quiet? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep pretty much LOL

It's going to be a motor home with pass through from cab to back. Wife will be able to go back and beat them as needed. The dinette will be right behind the driver. The floor in the back is close to 7ft wide These sit 3 wide up front PLUS they have all the shifers. The passenger seat stock is a double. It will get a single seat up front and enough room to get by it and get in the rear. The Dinnette will have seat belts and it will have a full cage built around it to protect the kids.

The rest will be small single basin sink and a two burner stove. Espar heater that will also preheat engine coolent in winter. Portable toilet with a shower curtain suround sitting in a shower drain pan. Durring the summer have a shower curtain booth on the outside.

The dinette will form a double bed but I need to work out more sleeping space. Thinking about a pop up top off a VW westfailia. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Can you tell I been doing my home work? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

13. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    Have you checked this place??
    They have some cool ones for sale

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I have been there. I think he may be gettingthem from the same place as http://www.eurotruck-importers.com/dieselmogs.htm The way the U1300 he has listed there is very simular to the guy local to me. I'll have to pay taxes but it's about a wash when you concider the cost to transport it down here. I will use it as a little leverage though. He's a hair cheaper.

14. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

ever heard of the "prairie schooner" in old fourwheeler magazine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

16. Grim-Reaper

Yep 404 Radio boxes and one being a hard cab. Unusual boxes on those. They usualy have double rear doors. Kewl truck if you got arms like Paul sr. They aint got no power steering and they are gassers. 89 hp aint going to work for towing. Sweet thing is they are not even as big of a foot print as a Sub.

The U1300 are 131hp stock and a LOT more torque. With Turbo you can get them up to 170 pretty easy and something like 450lbft of torque. Stick OD on them and they will hold 70mph unless it's a real steep hill.

17. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Love them Mogs grimy...used to se a od green one set up as a camper in and around congress arizona. Got to drive once while working at freightliner in az.....put a fuel tank on her and then enjoyed the hell out of the road test...hehehe.

DW

18. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Went through an epiphany of sorts a year and a half ago...........faced the reality that building the TPI406 K5 was the fun , making time to use it as intended when faced with family time as a priority was not going to happen. Easy decision for me, really. Sold it, got the Burb, never looked back. It pulls the tent trailer great /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, has the room for the kids, their friends, the dog, every possible item we would want to bring camping, and the KIDS and WIFE love it. Went a bit too far on the K5, I am actually enjoying the Burb more.

Mogs are cool, especially if you can work on them yourself, as you undoubtedly can.

Good luck on selling Dollar, only problem you'll have is finding someone that wants a wheeling truck and doesn't mind the body panels with character. Had only two guys look at mine over two months with perfect body (listed for sale at $8200) since the market for a 79 K5 was obviously much lower, ended up bidding on it and sold for listed price. Specialized rigs just need the right buyer........ /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

19. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Someday , when the kids are grown up, you will miss your truck. I had a black monte carlo as a kid that was really in great condition bodywise that I should of kept, would make a great cruiser now! Someone will want your truck rest assured of that, I would love it myself if I had anywhere near enough to really offer you something for it. All I can say is if you do sell it try to find someone who would appreciate it, and understands that k5's ( any REAL vehicle for that matter ) have a heart and a soul!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul,,,,what a fruit loop /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

20. Grim-Reaper

Top!

If I part it then I'm keeping the wheels and axles! Build a tube or sling them under a 4 Runner till I can come up with money for a Mog. I really don't have time to part it. Why buy a part of Dollar when you can have the whole thing! it's nearly as famous as the UAV. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif