Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Texas Considers Raising Speed Limit

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, May 17, 2006.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

SAN ANTONIO (AP) - Drivers on two West Texas highways could soon be able to go 80 mph without risking a speeding ticket.
    A proposal by the state Department of Transportation seeks to raise the speed limit on Interstates 10 and 20 in West Texas, despite opposition from fuel conservation advocates. The Texas Transportation Commission could take up the proposal next week.
    Legislation passed last year allows for higher speeds in 10 West Texas counties, most of which currently have 75 mph speed limits.
    Carlos Lopez, director of traffic operations for the transportation department, said a survey of both interstates found that 85 percent of motorists already were driving up to 79 mph.
    ``If people begin to think that the number on the sign is unreasonable, then they won't respect it,'' Lopez said. ``Just putting up a lower number on the highway isn't going to slow down traffic.''
    But with gas prices at a premium, some groups said drivers should be encouraged to slow down rather than speed up.
    Increasing the speed limit ``will have a perverse reaction,'' said Peter Iwanowicz, director of environmental health at the American Lung Association. ``Increasing the speed limit will increase fuel use.''
    U.S. Department of Energy studies show gas mileage usually decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph. Transportation department spokesman Randall Dillard said the 80 mph speed limit was also intended to make the interstate safer, because motorists would be traveling at a uniform speed.

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Hmmm.... are they saying we're not supposed to be going 80+ already. :thinking: I don't know what all the red tape is about.. I raised the speed limits of all roads in my area years ago without any problems.. I just sort of stick my hand out the window and flick my fingers and proclaim the limit raised.. and off I go. I only slow down when I see cops, so that they can get a good look at my inspection sticker, observe that I'm wearing my seatbelt, and not smoking pot with a cab full of underaged girls... and then I speed off again. :wink:

3. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I have driven on the part of I10 that is already 75, it blew my mind cause I'd never seen that before. The reason they let you go so fast is cause at first its the hillcountry and they dont want people drive slow enough to gawk and then it goes out into the desert, which you obviously want to get through as quickly as possible.

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Hell, my truck can barely do 75... max. It just won't go any faster without wasting a crapton of gas and burning up the tranny from an unlocked converter.

5. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'll still be at risk of getting a ticket :doah:

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I can't imagine this actually happening...as I recall, Montana was forced to re-enact the 75MPH speed limit or lose federal funding for roads.

7. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

:haha:

I glad to be in the other 15 % --160 + at times between SanAntonio and Fort Stockton...( damn,did I just say that out loud??? ):eek1:

8. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I like faster speed limits but when I push my K5 upwards of 70 mph I can almost see the gas hand moving towards "E" :doah:

9. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Montanas speed limit was reasonable and purdent, not 80mph. It would be cool if this happened my blazer sucks gas down pretty hard at those speeds but my car gets the same from about 70mph to about 85 mph at 90mph it goes down a couple of mpg. Even though I have never driven those roads where I live you could easily raise the limit to 80 except for the winter when Idiots drive the speed limit on icy roads

10. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

i drive my k5 like 2% of the time, id love to have 80 mph speed limits around here, time to move to texas to haul ass with open containers and kill some intruders

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

:D :D :D