Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Texas emmissions laws

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shanemcg45, Feb 22, 2005.

1. shanemcg45

shanemcg45 Registered Member

Does anyone here know anything about Texas emmission laws? Could I put a crate 383 with carb and headers on an '85 K5 and pass?

2. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

From what I know, as long as the engine is tuned properly and all of the emmisions equipment is there and functioning, you shouldn't have any problems. Were you carb or tbi originally?

3. shanemcg45

originally carb. I may just put a crate 350, but I'm looking at worse case scenario. The reason I ask is that most motors I've looked at have a disclaimer saying "for off-road use only".

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Depends on what county you're in. All but the big city counties only do visual inspections. Houston, Dallas, Austin and San Antonio and the counties they are in do the sniffer tests.

5. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

re

There are no emissions checks in Lubbock or for most of Texas for that matter. Do what ever you like!

6. shanemcg45

Oh I'm giddy as a schoolgirl imagining the possibilities. Thanks for the info. That just made my week.

7. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

Well there sure as heck is here. :frown1:

8. shanemcg45

where you at?

9. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

P-Town
    Harowin Capital
    Plain Old
    Plano

10. shanemcg45

I guess Dallas area does the smog tests. Everyone I've asked around here seems to think that we could get away with just about anything as long as we put a catalytic converter on.

11. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

re

If you want to do the cat then go for it but I would suggest making it a bolt in installation. That way you can bolt in a strait pipe if you want.

12. shanemcg45

Oh. I figured it wasn't even an option. Would that not raise some eyebrows during inspection?

13. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

re

I have yet to see someone ever open the hood or look under the car here. They mainly check tire wear, lights, wipers, brakes and horn. Just don't take it to a major name brand style shop, Walmart, Midas etc. as they often are more strict and have some company policies to go by as well to prevent law suits. Where in Lubbock are you located?

14. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

you should be fine with the 383, as long as you have all the emission stuff that is required for your year. visually there is no differeence in the 383 and 350..as for the "not leagal for street use" just ignore that part. i live in california and we have probably the strictest emmissions in the country. and i installed a 350H.O. in my truck, when i opened the crate there was a big sticker on the valve cover that said "not legal for use in california on pollution controlled vechicles"...i ripped that sticker off before i even took it out of the crate. then did a cam swap and a few other mods to it, and bumped it from 9.1:1 compression to 10.3:1...and i took it to the siffer station last month and passed smog..barely the max allowed hydrocarbons( i think it was hydrocarbons) was 200 and my engine pumped out 198...but hey that still passes..:D

i have a buddy that put the 383 crate motor in his el camino..and he too passes smog...barley...so i say go for it..and if push comes to shove do what we do here in california...make sure you just happen to have an 18 pack of beer sitting in your truck when you take it to get smogged...that little trick has worked wonders for me several times...

also another trick, not quite as easy...run a hidden line from your cab to your engine, hook it up to a small (camping light) propane tank, and as he starts the test, slowly release the propane...this little trick will make your truck run cleaner than you ever thought it would....but keep it all hidden!!! you get caught..you get "black listed"..at least here in california..and all smog shops in your area know to look for you, and you are required to go to the smog referee...

15. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Whereabouts in CA? I did smogs about 10 years ago and it was much less stress on me if the thing passed, so I made everything pass. Good stuff. What a joke this state is.

16. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

i live in nor cal...just north east of sac..nice thing up here in the mountains is that we only have to smog every other year, but down in the big city and so cal its every year..but there is a place near east county san diego that you don't have to smog at all...if i remember the name was Alpine? or somthing like that, when i lived in la messa two years ago, a buddy of mine had parents that lived there, so his truck was registered at their address and he never had to smog..and there is a couple little towns like that up here in the mountains