Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Texas Guys

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Sep 22, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Are you guys heading out on the highway away from Hurricane Rita? I saw on the news in Houston that they changed the highway to 1 way traffic to get everyone out.
    Just wondering if you guys are being effected and if your alright?

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

At most, Dallas should only have 40 mph winds. I will be wheelin with goggles on. Oh, and we could have a few tornadoes as well. It happens. Whaddayado.
    The rainstorms will be nice for a change.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

They call that "contraflow". Lots of people hear it on TV and have no idea what it means. It is common down here when a huricane is on the way.

4. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

My dad drove close to where I go to school to drop off the horses at some of our families land so I meet him at about 1 am to go home (1 1/2 hr trip). This morning I got up and helped to finish the house preps. Now it turns out that the storm is going more north, missing our house. I decided to go back to San Marcos. Traffic was bumper to bumper the whole way. It took 4 1/2 hrs to get back. We were on 2 lane roads mostly the whole way. Dumbasses were passing people on the shoulder of the road. I got tired of them gettin in front of me so as they were flying up the shoulder I would swerve over and block them, making them merge in behind me. Needless to say I got the one finger wave a few times. It was fun though.
    I hope everyone in the houston area is doing ok. My prayers are with yall.
    Thanks for the concern 84. It is appriciated.

Dustin

5. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

and if they were fleeing houston, they probably wouldn't be on here.

6. TexasA&Mblazer

TexasA&Mblazer 1/2 ton status

It's amazing to me how stupid some people are. Here in San Antonio people were going crazy buying all sorts of stuff at HEB. Most ALL grocery stores/gas station markets are out of bottled water, milk, eggs, and gas. :screwy: We have a beach house in Rockport (Near Corpus Christi) and we got our neighbors to close the storm shutters on all the windows. We're not expecting too much damage but will be heading down there Sunday to check and make sure everything is OK. Good thing we're not all crazy. :surepal:

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Highways jammed!

I read on another site it one family took 4 hours to drive 30 miles to an airport via the highway!--average speed-- TWO MPH! :eek1: ...

Their sons and daughter had a GPS..went all the "back roads" and residential streets....got there in 2 hours!..guess GPS has its advantages...many cars are running out of gas on the highways,causing massive back ups--and so are the gas stations too! :eek1: ...glad I'm not in that situation--sometimes I feel if I were,I'd just stand on the shore,and say "take me"!... :doah: :crazy:

My prayers are out to all who have already lost,or are about to lose much,if not all they owned,and their loved ones...been a BAD year,this 2005... :(

8. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it's crazy how bad the traffic headed this way is. Like Hunter mentioned, people here are buying up stuff as if we were at risk as well.. :screwy: My wife went to Wal-Mart this a.m. and said that all the bottled water was gone.. and that her counsin (who works there) said it and the diesel was all gone as of midnight last night. People are silly..

I don't expect more than a little rain and wind at most.. depending of course where it hits. I do have family in Houston, Orange TX, and Corpus Christi TX. The ones from Houston and Corpus are on thier way here... but I would imagine they will have a long slow trip.

We went and got a relative back in 79 or 80 when Hurricane Allan hit.. that was a sucky trip back in that traffic. There were hundreds of boats left along the side of I-35. :eek1: I guess they got tired of pulling them in bumper to bumper traffic... or that 50 cents a gallon for gas was looking mighty expensive. :haha:

9. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

To the hurricane, right? :p:

10. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I had to go with my girl friend from where we live in College Station down to Hallettesville last night to meet her mom to pick up their horses and bring them up here. We are from Corpus Christi and everyone I know down there is staying. I am looking forward to tubing in the streets and looting napa.

11. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]
    Don't forget to loot some Heiniken while your at it. Good luck to you guys in Texas, its already starting to rain here.

12. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Here we have an example of the quality of the members of CK5. It's all about fun and truck parts. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

13. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Texas Guy's

We boarded up the windows,,loaded up the AK-47's
    pulled out the generator,fueled up the trucks,loaded up on groceries.

No way were we going to get out on the highway,,would much rather take my chances at my own home.

will stay online as long as possible !!
    IT's 9 am friday am
    The news is saying now the storm may be a cat 3 when it hits,,
    It's dead calm now,,,
    more updates later!!

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I realize they wouldn't be on here, but maybe another member knows one that is leaving.

Thanks for all the updates guys...keep us posted.

15. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Yesterday a friend caught a plane out of Houston. His work sent him there Monday evening to meet with a contractor on Tuesday. WTF were they thinking? He had to do the backroads dead reckoning navi thing in order to get to the airport.
    Anyway, when he left the news was reporting Rita moving @ 9 MPH and the fwy's were @ 4 MPH. Sumthin's gonna have to give there.

16. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

My roommates and I are prepared for the worst!

supplies.JPG

17. hunterguy86

Looks like you guys are all set. Hey you guys beat my bobcats but I think it was a good game. I was expecting to for us to get killed.

18. wasted wages

Not much happening,,,

Drove around for a while,,,everythings closed up,,looks like a ghost town.
    Saw 1 gas station open pumping gas,,,lines about 1/4 mile long.
    Saw 1 Subway open,,,line of people out the door and down the sidewalk.

lots of people have run out of gas along I-10 and have taken up refuge in parking lots,,movie theaters,,Sam's stores and parking at closed gas stations waiting for the next tanker. Family's,,kids,,pets,,stuck where they ran out of gas,,,pretty sad.

It's 3:35 now (friday eve ) not much wind ( 16 mph ) and no rain yet here in Katy,,

More later.

19. wasted wages

Picture of storm shutters

[​IMG]

20. hunterguy86

Hey good luck wasted. I hope all is well there.