Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Texas heat on its way here!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dallassnowman, Mar 17, 2004.

1. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

So has anyone beefed up their blower to push out more air, or any else that I can do. I have already placed a shutoff valve in the heater core line. I know in most new trucks the passanger can feel the air in the back seat!! I have also insulated the doors. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

What made a BIG difference on mine in the AZ heat was cleaning out the evaporator. I split the box on the firewall open and rubbed the evaporator with a soft wire brush and tons of crud came out. I then sprayed on some coil cleaner I sell at work that evaporates . Helped the effiency of the evaporator and now air can actually blow through it. It was a dog before that. Hope it helps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

There isn't a whole lot you can do with the stock squirrel cage and blower motor but like pauly said...make sure your evap isn't plugged. My A/C blows very well but I put a brand new evap in when I rebuilt the system.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Just take the top off, that's what I do... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. dallassnowman

[ QUOTE ]
    What made a BIG difference on mine in the AZ heat was cleaning out the evaporator. I split the box on the firewall open and rubbed the evaporator with a soft wire brush and tons of crud came out. I then sprayed on some coil cleaner I sell at work that evaporates . Helped the effiency of the evaporator and now air can actually blow through it. It was a dog before that. Hope it helps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I do that without losing any freon??
    I've heard about doing that but never talked to anybody about it.

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

thanks for rubbing it in. It's snowed here for the past 2 days. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

is there a write up or a guide on switching from the old ac juice to the new stuff?

8. pauly383

You wont lose any freon. You are just taking the black box apart on the firewall . It is already in two pieces so you can remove it with out breaking open any lines. The only thing you need to do is reseal around the tubes after you are done. Some putty from most hardware stores is perfect for that. The heater hoses may need to come off though, but that is no big deal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

BTW be gentle on the evaporator, I did say SOFT wire brush.

9. pauly383

I haven't switched over to r134. I use a product called HotShot (r414) it replaces r12 without need to convert anything.The charge is lower though , you use less, like 80 percent. So if you need 10 ounces you only use 8 of the replacement. You can only get this from appliance stores (need a license, I work at one so I am lucky). Napa has a product called Freeze12 that does the same thing, but I haven't personally used that. Works great with all the r12 components in place, if you have any r134 stuff on the truck it wont work as well. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. dallassnowman

Cool thanks, ill be cleaning it this weekend.
    I took my truck to a friend owned shop to get mine serviced and they say freeze 12 is just as good as 134a. I got lucky and was given a can of r12!!
    I stuck a meat thermometer in my vent and mostly get 20 to 30 degrees colder than outside right now(its been 70-75 degrees here in Dallas,Tx). Is that average, for vent temp?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    I got lucky and was given a can of r12!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Very lucky. My companies owners took what we had left and they use it at home and for their friends. Last price we had for a 30lb jug was like 1100.00 ful reatil and about 900 wholesale. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

12. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I did a new compressor, hoses etc on my 89 summer before last....20-30 below outside temp is probably better than you would get with 134 unless you also upgrade compressor an evaporator to accomodate the higher pressure...IIRC...I just bit the bullet and did the $135 worth of R12 since I was knee deep into the compressor...cleaned the evap as described, replaced the high side hose, and got about 30* below outside (in July)...when it's spooled up to driving speed, you could hang meat....I did the insulation (Accoustimat) on doors, quarter panels, tailgate, headliner but that was mostly for sound insulation...did new door rubber, window channels, etc around the same time (everything but the wing windows)...deepest legal tint is crucial...I love Texas... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

My work truck is a 97 w/134 Reg Cab...ain't even near as cold as my Jimmy.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. dallassnowman

Well good I hope I got it cool enough for the real Heat. I too did the doors and rubber. I dont care to be hot driving down the road. But I will get more top off time this summer. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. dallassnowman

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I got lucky and was given a can of r12!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Very lucky. My companies owners took what we had left and they use it at home and for their friends. Last price we had for a 30lb jug was like 1100.00 ful reatil and about 900 wholesale. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I got it from a guy at work!!!
    He used to own a Bronco. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

15. Did you put the accoustimat on the doors or inside? I have some of that inulation that has the aluminum on one side and there is not enough room inside the doors for it, the window mech and power lock stuff. I was just wondering what you did.

Mat

16. pauly383

Well cool. Hope it all works out then. It already in the 90's in AZ during the day. This is another year of a drought, we could of used the floods you get in TX once in awhile. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. dallassnowman

[ QUOTE ]
    Did you put the accoustimat on the doors or inside? I have some of that inulation that has the aluminum on one side and there is not enough room inside the doors for it, the window mech and power lock stuff. I was just wondering what you did.

Mat

[/ QUOTE ]

I went 2 home depot and got double sided alum w/ air bubles in the middle type insulation. Used 3m spray glue and stuck it on the door panels, its thin. Then i used thick plastic to glue to the door for more insulation, but i dont have power windows!!

18. I guess that power window stuff is in the way. Also, there is hardley any spot to get your arm into, how did you get that stuff all flat on the inside of the door? I have just one small access hole, but its very difficult to work through. I have thought about cutting a little bigger hole down at the bottom of the door to work through.

19. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I put the accoustimat inside the doors while I had them apart to replace the power window motors....I cleaned and prepped the inside of the door panel, and covered most of it with 3 pieces (easier to work with that way)...ate up my forearms pretty good...first door took about 2 hours...second one about 45 minutes....the Tailgate was a certified B*tch...had to support the glass, and got my wife to place the several smaller pieces of mat to get it mostly covered (since her arms are smaller)...cost me an extra $25 for her manicure and $60 for dinner out... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

The inside fender wells and headliner was a snap....the headliner material is more lightweight, so I did a double layer....I don't know about doing all of under the floors...I'll take a look when I pull the interior to clean the carpet....my truck is 80% DD and I road trip quite a bit... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif