Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Texas...tell me about it.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by clarkjw24, May 31, 2005.

1. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

We'll I got to work today and the buzz going around is that our company is up for sale. I don't know what to think about it, but I really don't feel like going through the buy out thing again. We were bought 4 years ago. It just comes with so much red tape b.s. I don't know if I can do it again. I'm thinking of starting a new life in Texas. I've got a friend thats real high up in the Radio Shack Corp and he's tried to get me out there before to work in the design and packaging end. He said he could prob get me in making about $15000 more a year than I make right now. I've been here now for 10 years and have a wife and two young kids, 5 vehicles and all my family is here. I've got one uncle out in Pheonix.

So someone tell me about Texas. I like to hunt, wheel, wrench, and drink. What the vehicle restrictions and regulations? In SC we have no inspection laws. Hows the weather? Whats the cost of living, houses, gas, and food?

2. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

If you commit a crime...they will kill you. :p:

3. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Well **** where to begin. Oh yah...Texas is the ****!

Texas has a great job market, and the cost of living is prety low. If you want it, we have it in Texas, as long as it isnt snow. There are piney woods in the east, deserty mountains in the west, high plains in the north, rocky hills in the middle, and flat, dry and hot coastal plains in the south. Since like 97% of Texas is privately owned, leasing or owning is the only way to hunt. We have something for everyone, areas with lots of little deer (hillcountry) or fewer large deer (south Texas) and everything in between. As far as wheeling goes, there isnt any public land but there are quite a few private parks scattered throughout the state, all good sized. We have just as many if not more wheelers than any other state so finding a club to join shouldnt be hard.

Texas is probably the drinking capitol of the world, so you're good to go there.

As far as inspection goes, you need an e-brake, one mirror and all the other normal stuff. There is some obscure headlight hight law but I've never heard of it being enforced.

The weather depends entirely on where you are in the state. In the northern part, (from Dallas north), it snows regularly in the winter and gets to be over 100 in the summer. Down here in South Texas, it rarely gets below 50 degrees in the winter, and regularly gets to 95 or 100 in the summer. Hotter than hell, yes, but it can be coped with.

Like I said before, the cost of living is very reasonable here. Gas is cheap, probably because we make most of the country's right here in Corpus Christi or Houston. Gas is $1.81 a gallon and falling right now. An average middle class house will run about $100k.

You cant go wrong moving here :waytogo:

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Found a 2 story 4 BDRM 2 Bath 2,100 sq.ft. in the northside of san antonio across the street from a state recognized elementary school for $108,000.
    Drinking? Hah, Texas exists only because of Budweiser. No hard liquor purchasing after 9 on all days except Sunday. No Booze buying on Sunday. No beer or wine till after 12 noon on Sunday. Headlight limit is 64" I believe, that's the only restriction. Only sniffer emission testing is in Houston and Dallas I believe. Property taxes are about $1,000 a year higher than other states, but there's no state income tax and no special city taxes, at least for San Antonio. We have the rocks at Mason to wheel at, and some other places in the east, not to mention the 50+ miles of big shell beach to 4x4 on. San Antonio last got snow in 1985. Coldest it got this year was about 24 degrees. Look for high 90's and very low 100's july to august. You also cannot forget Texas exclusives like Taco Cabana and Bill Miller's and Jim's. Whataburger is just starting to spread, but that's another awesome place. Finally, this is THE best place for BBQ and mexican food next to actually going to Mexico...and I'm VERY sure you don't want to move there...

5. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

54 is the headlight height :p:

6. clarkjw24

Well being from SC I'm use to the heat. Aug and July brings 100s usually. We can't buy liquior after 7:00 mon-sat. No alcohol at all on Sundays. I don't have not one vehicle that would pass inspection of any kind without some work. I really wouldn't want to live in a town. I'm a country boy. I like to walk out side in my skippies and take a leak.

7. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Where are you looking at living?? As for wheeling, there isnt alot of places but there are a few.

8. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

You dont understand, this is a different kind of heat. At least down here on the coast, the actual heat plus the regular 80-90% humidity results in 110-120 degree heat index. And if people tell you humidity is over rated...they're full of ****. I like it though.

9. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Well crap, guess I have to move there too. I can't go wheeling without John ;)

10. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I lived in Corpus Christi for 3 years. The humidity in the summer is a butt kicker. I always went out to Padre Island to go 4 wheeling-great if you like sand. Friendly people, mild winters and great Mex chow.

11. clarkjw24

I'm just kicking around the idea. I may like the new owners and nothing changes at all. But if not, I'm going to do something new. :xmas: