Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Texas, trailers, & titles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fatbob, May 27, 2005.

1. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

I'm going to look at a trailer that came from Texas in a little while.
    The guy that has it said he has no title for it, and that texas only requires a bill of sale. Anyone know if this is true?
    Bob

2. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Well I can't really help you out on your question :smirk:

BUT, where in Tx are you buying your trailer?

3. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

I was looking at a trailer in Arizona that had come from Texas. It still had Texas tags on it, and was registered as a farm trailer. The owner had bought it in Texas and said he had no title for it because they dont title trailers in Texas, he just had a bill of sale. We title trailers in Arizona, so if I bought it I woud have to deal with Mvd. I decided to pass on it. If he didnt want to hassle with getting a title, then neither do I. Besides it was pretty beat up :frown1:

4. jmd4x4

jmd4x4 1/2 ton status

You probly did right by passing it up. I do know you have to title trailers in TX, you can have it tiltled as a home made trailer, but all the state wants to know is how much weight it will carry. You have to have a license plate w/ tags, so that means a title. I stop trailers quite often w/ out of date tags, or no plates. Either they show me a bill of sale that they just bought the trailer, or they get a citation.
    Hope this helps

later
    jmd

5. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Thanks JMD
    I'm not a trusting person, but I try to give people the benifit of a doubt. That title BS COULD have been true, but I knew I could count on my fellow CK5ers from Texas to call a spade a spade. :waytogo:
    P.S. The seller even encouraged me to have someone run the plate numbers.
    He sure was confident and damn near had me fooled. I might have gone for it if the trailer had been in better shape. :mad:
    Thanks again

6. jmd4x4

jmd4x4 1/2 ton status

I may have spoke to quick, I have been checking around and some older trailers dont have titles. Home made trailers do not have titles either but all trailers are registerd in TX. Newer trailers have titles or a proof of ownership or something like that, but I can remember the exact wording. All it is a title w/ the sereal # on it. So some trailers have titles some dont, I have been doing this for 13 years and I still learn something new almost ever week.

The best advise I can give you is call down to the place were you get your car or trailer registerd or titled, and ask them what you have to do for your state, if you buy a trail from out of state and it has no title.

hope this helps you out

later
    jmd

7. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

SOme state's don't require a title depending on the weight of the trailer

8. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I just did this for the trailer for the Skeeter I bought. No title for the trailer. I paid the sales tax on the boat and motor (both titled) to the Parks and Wildlife. Paid sales tax on the to the local county for what I "told them" I paid for the trailer. Received a document receipt for "Non Titled Trailer" which transferred the Tags to my name....cost me $12.50 (told them I paid 200 for the trailer).

9. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

what kind of trailer? i know in oregon its that way with a single axle utility trailer under a certian weight rating...
    Grant

10. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

In Mississippi we have to register trailers and buy tags, but titles aren't issued. You are supposed to receive a "Certificate of Origin" though when you purchase a trailer new. I have built several trailers for myself and other people and we just register them as homemade trailers. When you do this then you are required to use your dl # as the serial # for the trailer. Since I've built several then I just add a letter to the end of the number (A,B,C....etc). All you get then is your tag receipts.

11. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

So he WAS telling the truth agout not needing a title [ it was tagged as a farm trailer ] :confused: That is what I really wanted confirmation on.
    And as for calling for info, I believe the call center is staffed by inmates :shocked: and unless you go up a level or two, you MAY get incorrect info. It kinda sucks when you takes someones word over the phone,
    and when you get there in person, the rules change.
    Seventy4Blazer. The trailer is a big-tex tandem axle 8lug, with bentup siderails, tweaked frame, mixed bias & radials, wires for brakes cut, and fenders needing replaced. It WAS a nice trailer when it was new. :grin:
    Thanks to the responces to this thread, I would not hesitate to look at another trailer from Texas,or Mississippi that had a bill of sale instead of a title :waytogo:
    Thanks guys :waytogo:

12. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I bought a brand new trailer from a company here in Texas and they gave me a bill of sale and an application for a title. I went to the local courthouse to get the title and they told me that I needed a title in order to get it transfered. Well ****. Now I dont know what to do. I am currently using a trailer plate that my girlfriend's dad found on the side of the road but the tags expire in a couple days so I need to get it registered for real.

13. jmd4x4

jmd4x4 1/2 ton status

afroman006
    Just go back to the courthouse and tell them you need to register a homemade trailer. Its a lot easer that way. They will want to know how much the trailer weights and how much weight it will carry, and that should be it.

hope that helps some

later
    jmd

14. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Awsome thanks.

15. chevy_muscle

chevy_muscle 1/2 ton status

I've bought and still have two used texas trailers. A car hauler and a enclosed trailer. Both have titles and I got the titles when buying them from the previous owner. However, neither was home-made.