Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Th-350 dipstick…more than one variety?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77Jimmy, Sep 16, 2003.

1. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

The end of my tranny dipstick broke off the other day while I was checking the fluid level. Called the GM dealer and they said that part has been discontinued. Called a tranny shop and they were arguing amongst themselves about whether or not there are 2 different varieties of th-350 dipsticks.

Grizzled CK5 vets, is there more than one variety of th-350 dipstick? I’d like to get the same dipstick as the original, but thinking about running up to PepBoys and getting their “universal” tranny dipstick. Anyone using one of those?

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I would venture a guess that there are more than two varieties. The dipstick in a Camaro will be different than one in a van. The van dipstick will be much longer, so it can be reached from under the mini-hood.

As long as you get the dipstick and tube as a matched set you will be able to measure the fluid level. It is just a matter of finding the right tube length, bend configuration and mounting tab that works with your application. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Go hit the junkyards and get one out of a 70's Blazer! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well, i couldnt use th350 tube off 77 K20 onto a 2wd one i had somehow for some unknown reason that i dont know how, the tang with hole that you use to hold the tube to the bellhousing bolt is in wrong location, i dont know how. i dont remember which th350 it was now, i think the one out of the van, yeah the van because i needed a normal stick and tube so i could put the th350 and 350 engine into the 82 t/a yep, so it must be a 70s 4x4 to 70's van thing somhow i dont know how, the botl hole tang welded to the tube was all wrong even though both trannies were same era th350

wierd..

oh and theres van style also, theres at least three different varities with turcks that ive come across, plus who knows in cars, plus 69-72 truck style i wouldnt be surprised if theres a diff either betwen big block to small block and/or C series to K series

you would be surprised sometimes to find what is and isnt different with GM, its usally hte craziest stuff and not what you would think at first. i ahve been finding this out the hard way too often lately..

a coupleof the stupid differences that commonly piss me off: water pump pulley and fan and water pump shaft pulley mounting flange bolt pattern size differences-theres small and theres large and its a pain sometimes, and then things like tv/kickdown cable ends difference like from 70s to 80s, and then manifold bolt pattern differences from the 80s 305's to the 350s and older 305's and 400's and such, and the head pipe flange differences too, some are two bolt like the old straight six engines and most are normal three bolt flanges,
    dont forget oilpans and flexplates and torque converter bolt pattern changes too.
    '86-up, '85-80, '79-55
    tranny mount differences depenmding on year, some metric some not, those are fun projects.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

There are in fact 2 different types.

The old type has a o-ring to seal with the trans. It sits in a grove in the dip stick tube.
    The newer type has a shaped rubber sleeve that seals it. They changed because the o-rings didn't seal as well (the tube mates to the trans below the fluid line).

The best mod I have made to my truck so far was to put in a Van dip-stick! No more having to climb into the engine compartment and balance myself on hot stuff with the engine running to check the ATF. Now I can check it with both feet on the ground! Only weard bit is that the dip-stick is 4 FEET LONG!

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

The best mod I have made to my truck so far was to put in a Van dip-stick! No more having to climb into the engine compartment and balance myself on hot stuff with the engine running to check the ATF. Now I can check it with both feet on the ground! Only weard bit is that the dip-stick is 4 FEET LONG!

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you happen to have a pic of that mod? That would be nice to have in my '71 Burb. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Sorry...no Pic's

I just got a 70's Van dipstick (o-ring type) from the junkyard. I had to bend it a bit (over my leg) to get it to clear the firewall. The lower factory mounts (bell housing tab and tranny attachment) bolted up fine...The upper most tab (that isn't on a truck dip-stick tube) obviously didn't have a place to go. I just zip-tied it to the AC comp. mount. If I wanted to I could drill a hole in the mount and put a bolt...