Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Th-350 on my 6.2

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by k5blazin, Jan 29, 2005.

1. k5blazin

k5blazin 1/2 ton status

my 700r4 is showing signs of blowing out on me so i was thinking an upgrade to a 350. will it bolt up to my 6.2? how will i rig the kickdown so it will work with the 350? i already bought a kit from TCI for the 350 to bolt up to my 208 t-case so thats not an issue. what other things do i need to do to make this happen?

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

First off a th350 is not really an upgrade from a th700r4, it's almost a step back IMHO. If you are having problems with your 700 I would not mess with a 350 but instead go with a th400. The 400's in military trucks are setup for a diesel and a th350 really isn't any stronger than a th700r4.

The transmission will bolt up just fine. The problem I see is getting a converter and governor to work. There was never a th350 behind the diesel (IIRC) so getting the right parts from GM is probably out. Maybe an aftermarket company like TCI carries custom low stall stuff that would work but I don't know...

3. k5blazin

k5blazin 1/2 ton status

ok thanx for the input. i was also thinking about building a 700r4 because i work in a tranny shop and i have a good core laying around. i could build one really cheap and it would have some stoudt to it. would that hold up well to my 6.2??

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

You can build them to a point, but it all really depends on how you use the truck. If you have a heavy right foot and big tires with high gears...

What size tires and what gear ratio are you running? That is one of the most often overlooked causes of failures with the 700R4 (35" tires and 3.08 gears for example).

5. k5blazin

k5blazin 1/2 ton status

Well i have stock lift and 31in. tires for now cause i just got the truck. i will be adding 35 or 36 inchers with a 6 in lift with 4.10 gears in the near future. i think if i keep the fluid cool the tranny will do alright with the lift/tires/gears.

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If you're seriously thinking about 35's or 36's and a 700R4, go with a 4.56 gear. The OD will make up for the deeper axle gears, but the bigger payoff will be the reduced strain (therefore HEAT) on the tranny when getting the beast rolling. Run the biggest cooler you can, and change the fluid religiously (20K mi is the consensus I've reached).

7. rjfguitar

I would jump all over that!!! I'm sure a built th700 would stand up to a stock 6.2 easily and probably a turbo'd one too. I'm making about 300 ft lbs of torque to the ground with my 406 gasser and a built th700 which is a little more or a little less than what a 6.2(depends on who you ask ;) ) puts to the ground and I have beat the crap out of my built th700.

SInce you work at a tranny shop you know all about keeping fluid clean, cool, and the coolers they require. But gears are important. At least 4.10's with preferably 4.56's with 35's or 36's.

8. k5blazin

k5blazin 1/2 ton status

yea thats what i was planning on doing. i have my eyes set on the B&M cooler with the aux. fan bolted to it. and like i said i work in a tranny shop so fluid changes will be no problem. im going to do a fluid change this weekend to see if the tranny will staighten out because it hasnt been driven in 2 years. it might just be low in fluid too so ill check in the morning.

9. rjfguitar

What year is it? Actually (I may be completely wrong so someone correct me if I am) I don't hear of as many 700R4 failures behind the diesel as I do the 350 gas engines.

10. k5blazin

k5blazin 1/2 ton status

its a 1984.5 technically.