Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Th 350 Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1985K20, Apr 3, 2005.

1. 1985K20

1985K20 1/2 ton status

I found myself a 6.2l to replace my gas guzzlin 305, now, i just want to know if my tranny(TH 350) will handle the diesel motor??

I dont plow snow, i dont haul heavy loads...all i do is: play on the beach every now and then and im pretty soft on throttle too :)

Running 35's also.

2. 1985K20

1985K20 1/2 ton status

Any ideas people???

3. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

TH350 should do ok... but you may want to consider a 700R, it seems like that's what most of the diesels guys are running... or a 465..

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I think it'll live!

I've had the TH350 in my 74 K20 behind a 454 and a 400 small block for 15 years,and I plowed every one of those 15 winters with it with no trouble,till last fall I went to move it,and it had no reverse all of a sudden!--but for the amount of abuse I gave it,I dont blame it for croaking--those 2 motors are at LEAST as torquey as the 6.2 is,and it didnt phase it a bit!--and the forward gears still work fine,only reverse stopped engaging--I can still smoke the tires in all the forward speeds!..

I would use a TH350 with no hesitation behind a 6.2,especially if its only a driver and would not get used for towing or plowing--an add on cooler would be a good idea..if GM got away with the 700R4 behing a diesel and it lived,I'm sure the TH350, which is more durable than the overdrive's in my experience,will have no troubles-

Some prefer the overdrive to lower rpm's on highway driving,and the 1st gear IS lower on the 700R4--but not that big a deal with a diesel--you could put bigger tires or get away with 3.08 gears and still have good pulling power with the 6.2,and gain mileage to boot...

Youll need a vacuum pump to run the modulator valve,any 6.2 that had a TH400 will have one,and the switch to control the vacuum--700R4's have no modulator,so no vacuum needed for them..

(My vacuum switch was pooched on my 6.2,and I havent seen a good one yet in a junkyard,not sure if you can still get one new-- so I ran the vacuum directly from the pump to the modulator,and screwed in the adjustment screw on the modulator all the way in--it shifts rather early and soft,kinda like grandpa's caddy!--but it hasnt seemed to hurt the tranny after plowing all winter--if I want fast acceleration I just downshift it manually and let it wind up a little more-- :laugh: )... :crazy: