Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH-350 Rebuild

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jc71355, May 6, 2002.

1. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

How much did ya'll pay to rebuild your TH350? I have been told that they aren't that hard to do? Is this true or is it better left to the professional?

James

2. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

I spent $200-250 on mine including fluid, "rebuilt" stock converter and the spring compressor for the reverse pack. Wasn't hard, just follow the book, I had the Haynes GM trans manual. You will also need 2 - 6" C clamps and snap ring pliers.

3. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I'm deep into the middle of my rebuild and it has been quite the experience. The work isn't too difficult, mostly just time consuming. I have had several problems along the way and had I known about them, I would have just bought a rebuilt tranny from the local auto parts store. During the tear down, the problem became very obvious. The reverse sprag clutch exploded inside the case. I had a hard time finding the parts and ended up getting some used ones from a friend of my father. After I got the parts, I took the case into the tranny shop to be hot tanked. Before they cooked it, they inspected it, said it needed a kit so the clutch assemblies would hit on the forward tangs inside the case instead of the worn down ones and then they found a hairline crack in the case just above the reverse clutch assembly. I found a "K" case core at the local 4x4 shop for $125. Tore that case down and took it into the shop to be cooked. It needed a bushing put into it, so cooking and the bushing cost $110. Now, I'm rebuilding the case and discovering that they want you to use a bunch of tools they didn't list in the required tool list (feeler gauges, wire gauges, air compressor, seal installer, etc.).

So, I'm half way done with my "budget rebuild" and here is the $ count:
    1) kit + $100
    2) shift improver kit - $29
    3) new sprag clutch - $20
    4) new case - $125
    5) hot tank and new bushing - $110
    6) new torque converter - $59

price of rebuild not including the tools purchase: $443

Price of a rebuilt tranny at the parts store: $550

Price of exprience: priceless

4. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Thanks for sharing the experience. I haven't checked with the local shop to see how much they charge to rebuild so if it is not much i think i'm gonna let him do it. He did my 700r4 in my blazer and it is alot better. The tranny is in a 71 pickup and has never been touched. It pukes ATF out the back like crazy. The engine has a cam....etc and all that in it so i don't want it to give up the ghost somewhere and leave me stranded. Thanks for the info

James