Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH-350

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camarine, Sep 25, 2002.

1. camarine

camarine Registered Member

Preparing to buy an 85 Oldsmobile for the engine. 350 torker 2 intake and some brodix heads. Could I take the th-350 tranny off and maybe pull the short tail off and adapt it to my 203 t case? I don't know jack about a tranny and I figured this would be the place. Any help or links greatly appreciated. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

a lot to try there, like spline count and case length for starters

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

You will need to take the short output shaft out of a 4X4 TH350 and swap it into the TH350 in the Olds. There is a difference between the output shafts of a 2wd and 4wd TH350. The 4X4 version only sticks out of the case about 3/8" without the tailshaft housing. I assume you already have a TH350 in front of your NP203, so it should be a no brainer to mate the tranny and t-case up.

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

The Car t-350 isn't as strong as a 4x4 trany. My k-5 has had one in it for 9 years and have had it rebuilt twice...

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

the engine will not fit into your K5 as is. It has the BOP bellhouse bolts, not the GM. there are adapter plates that the drag racing folks use, no idea where to get them.

6. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i honestly wouldnt do that, i would get a tranny from a salvage yard, or some guy who is stripping down his truck, take the 4x4 trans have it rebuilt, if the condtion is questionable, or it just plain out needs it, and go from there, make sure it is from the same era, that might help, and i hope this helps, good luck. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

When I pulled the TH350 out of my Suburban to rebuild it, I found that the case was junk. Part of the valvebody had broken off internally and had been ground up by the clutches and steels. I found a local guy who had a 2wd TH350 for $20 (this was at about midnight on a Saturday night....junkyards were closed). I proceeded to disassemble and clean the 2wd tranny. I only wanted the case. I then put all of the internals, rebuild and shift kit in the 2wd case. Of course everthing bolted up fine and has been in my truck for about 3 years with no problems. It has stood up well behind my 350hp/425ft/lbs torque 388 Stroker. I can bark the tires hard on the 1-2 shift easily and sometimes the 2-3 shift. So, my point is, that the 2wd case has proved strong enough so far. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. blwnbwtie

blwnbwtie Registered Member

You can get those bellhousing adaptor plates from PAW and just use the tranny that is already in your truck. I think that it would be too much work to use the olds tranny if it will even work.

9. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

The question has never been asked. Is the engine in the Olds a Chevy 350 or Olds 350? IIRC GM went to the idea of corporate engines before '85. I doubt an '85 Olds came with a 350 "rocket" /forums/images/icons/grin.gif