Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH 400 rebuild

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by spaceboy, Apr 5, 2002.

1. spaceboy

spaceboy 1/2 ton status

I am looking to rebuild my TH 400. I want a tire barking beast for a tranny. It's going behind my 454 with approximately 450 horses so it's gotta take a whoopin'. What should I do to it?? I was thinking RV shift kit and possibly a reverse manual valve body. Any one else have any other ideas. Some help here would be greatly appreciated.

2. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

I just had my tranny rebuilt. I had them put strait cut planatary gears from a aliison unit it helps doubles bushing life and it has a lower first gear. I also had it upgrade to a th475 with a heavy duty converter and no shift kit. and it is working just fine.
    Colin

3. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

I would also include adding a 32 element sprag. This is what usually fails in a TH400 from large input torques. The manual valvebody is nice and usually is sold as part of a shift kit. If you get the manual vb talk with the supplier and see what else is needed / recommened. Most shift kits try and reuse the factory valvebody. This is o.k. but not ideal.