Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH 400 rebuilders

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ak-k25, Sep 14, 2004.

1. ak-k25

ak-k25 Registered Member

Just putting my transmission back together after rebuild, two questions. I just put the first gear train into the case and put in the tapered snap ring. Where in the case do i put a screwdriver and turn while tigheting the 12 point bolt? And when i stack my plates and discs ontop of that geartrain, the discs sit higher on one side, and cant figure out why. Sorry, my dog chewed on the camera cord so no pictures right now. THanks

2. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

From my book:

[​IMG]

3. ak-k25

ak-k25 Registered Member

No picture? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

There are two snap rings almost identical that snap into the case after you get that center support in.
    The one that holds the center support is the tapered snap ring. tapered side up. 9 oclock position in the case. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Now stick a small screwdriver into the center support direct clutch passage through the case (like where the parking pawl locks into! wedge it against the case and the one of the teeth on the center support to get some leverage) and hold tension rotating that center support counter clockwise while you torque the center support bolt to 22 ft/lbs. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now for the steels and clutches...
    The 3 steels (alternated by clutches) and the clutch backing plate will only go into the case one way, the lugs must all line up.
    The flat snap ring holds the intermediate clutches. Install that in the 3 oclock postion so the opening in the snap ring is facing the opposite as the other.

you can shoot me a pm if you have more q's or need any help.
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    No picture? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

that's strange. the pic was there the whole time it just couldn't be seen. I hit edit and the img tags where there with the correct link. I don't know what happened. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif