Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

??? TH-400

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BILLY RAY, Sep 27, 2004.

1. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I'am looking for a TH-400 case to swap all my guts from my TH-400 because I cracked my tailend part where the doubler bolts up due to something breaking on the eng. mount but while I'am looking for a core there are 3 kinds of TH-400's

2-wheel drive I know I don't want

4-wheel drive K-case I know I want this

But what the heck is an HD case and what is the diff. to a K-case. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I think its funny that it says newbie under your name. Might try posting this in Gen 4x4 Tech on Pirate to get more views.

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

As far as I know the HD is a K case. I have a standard case in mine.

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

"K" and "HD" cases are the same.

A later model 2wd are great sources for these cases also. Once the heavy duty case design went into production they started using this on all applications. You'll find them in 2wd's with the tin converter cover but they will have the mounting bosses for the thick cover, you'll just need to drill them. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

So do you know what year they started putting HD cases in?

6. nvrenuf

The earliest HD case I've seen was in a 79 4x4.

Now that I've thought about it, I may have been over confident in my statement about all cases changing at the same time. I know the 2wd's used the HD cases in the mid 80's but I can't say for sure they were used as early as 79. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Just for the sake of looking, I have a pic of an undrilled 2wd HD case on my Webshots page (see sig). Look in the Parts Pics album. Oh, btw, the case pictured is from a base model Astro van (3spd, no O/D). /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Still need some info. on this PLEASE!!! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

8. nvrenuf

[ QUOTE ]
    Still need some info. on this PLEASE!!! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You talking about what year the 2wd cases started or other info? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

yes please.

When the HD was put into what car or truck and how to tell if it is an HD case or not

10. nvrenuf

I've seen the HD cases in 79's, I'm 99% sure this is the first year for 4x4's.

The HD cases can have several things cast onto the bellhousing - "K", "HD", "39", I'm sure there's more. I edited one of the tranny pics in my Webshots album by circling in red the absolute identifying marks that ALL HD cases will have. <font color="brown"> Beware it will be 30 minutes before these changes will be viewable (time now = 2:23pm cst). </font>

I'm sorry but I don't know what year the 2wd stuff started using these cases other than to say early/mid 80's. Also, I don't think any cars had these cases.

11. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Billy, 2wd HD cases have been around since '64 when the TH400 was introduced. It was used in many of the muscle cars at the time. K case 400's were used in 4x4 applications begining in the mid 1960's as well. Somewhere around '78-'80 all of the thicker th400 cases were produced as HD's and the K case line was dropped. FYI, my `79 had a K case.

I took all of these years from my memory but when I get home I will call you with a positive answer from my th400 manual.

12. nvrenuf

[ QUOTE ]
    Billy, 2wd HD cases have been around since '64 when the TH400 was introduced. It was used in many of the muscle cars at the time. K case 400's were used in 4x4 applications begining in the mid 1960's as well. Somewhere around '78-'80 all of the thicker th400 cases were produced as HD's and the K case line was dropped. FYI, my `79 had a K case.

I took all of these years from my memory but when I get home I will call you with a positive answer from my th400 manual.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're talking about the deep pan trannys.

Billy Ray is talking about the thicker case trannys (commonly referred to as "K" or "HD" cases because some - not all - had this cast on the bellhousing) that use the thick 6 bolt converter cover.

13. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're talking about the deep pan trannys.

Billy Ray is talking about the thicker case trannys (commonly referred to as "K" or "HD" cases because some - not all - had this cast on the bellhousing) that use the thick 6 bolt converter cover.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Trust me, I am talking about the cases not the pan. Many muscle cars and 4x4's came with the thicker case. Both cases are very identical but have different designations. In the late 70's, early 80's they stopped making 3 different cases and just started making the HD case and the standard 2wd case. This was to reduced production costs and was the begining of phasing out the th400.

14. nvrenuf

[ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Trust me, I am talking about the cases not the pan. Many muscle cars and 4x4's came with the thicker case. Both cases are very identical but have different designations. In the late 70's, early 80's they stopped making 3 different cases and just started making the HD case and the standard 2wd case. This was to reduced production costs and was the begining of phasing out the th400.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I have never seen a case with the thick converter cover castings prior to '79. The case in this pic is not drilled for the thick cover but it does have the mounting bosses. All of the early (pre 79) cases I've seen have a smooth thin lip for the cover that does not allow enough room to use the thick cover.

[​IMG]

15. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

That is the same type of transmission I have in my burb. I had to get a machine shop to drill out the bosses to fit a 700r4 thick cover. The TH400 &amp; 700R4 have the same covers.

16. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I was not aware that GM offered a TH400 in a 4x4 until the late seventy's . I would like to see an application of such a truck ???
    To the best of my knowledge the thick bellhousing cases started in 1978/1979 and were "K" series or MHC only until GM went to total production of thick cases in the mid eighties like stated earlier .
    I am aware of passenger car HD TH400's but those cases were not the thick cases that are being talked about here.

Please give us some pic's of the cases that you are talking about .
    Thanks , Tom

17. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

18. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Of all the non-GM TH400's applications used in 4x4's ( mainly Jeep products ) I have not ever seen the thicker HD cases ( like in that NOVAK picture ) that came as OEM .
    I am interested in seeing what cases that you are talking about ??? I am not doubting you - I am just intersted in seeing what cases you are talking about .
    Please share info when you find your reference point.
    Thanks , Tom