Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 acting funny

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Suffergauge, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Suffergauge

Suffergauge 1/2 ton status

This may be a no brainer, I haven't even dug into it yet. I thought I would start here to give me some ideas what to look for before I start ripping stuff apart & want it fixed asap. Keep in mind that this has been an issue since I bought the blazer and the guy I got it from said it has been doing this for awhile.

When you shift out of park and into any gear it takes a bit to shift into gear. Reving the engine seems to speed up the process. It almost seems like there is a vaccuum problem ie. bad hose or modulator. Am I pulling to much vacuum from the engine, power brakes etc.? Doesn't someone make a booster of some kind? Once it is in gear, it shifts normal. There is another twist though. It has a higher speed stall converter. Don't know what speed it is but I have never had one so I don't know how they act.
    Thanks,

Jeff

2. Frank74

Frank74 Registered Member

I assume you have checked the level of the transmission fluid. If not, I had a leak and the fluid got low, which caused the transmission to slip-up on regular acceleration, and just run poorly, especially after the truck sat overnight. So check the fluid level, the key to a happy automatic is keeping it in normal operating temperature, and the correct amount of fluid. Heat will burn the fluid, and then kill the transmission.