Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 bell housing?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nau81blazer, Feb 27, 2006.

1. nau81blazer

nau81blazer 1/2 ton status

Hello everyone,

My truck eats up starters like crazy..........because i have run a 305 starter for my 350.

My 81' K5 orginally came with the 305. That pooped and my grandpa installed at gm goodwrench 350 (it was his truck before it was mine). He didn't see to have any problems running a 305 starter. Now mine eats them up. I have tried purchasing a 350 starter but b/c of the nose cone difference, it won't clear the bell housing of my th350. I believe that there is a 350 flywheel installed, but i'm not sure. If it was a 350 flywheel, would installing a 305 flywheel cure my problems? Will it fit? I've tried shimming to no avail and I am sick of buying starters. Though it only takes my about 4 min to take one out and put another in now:D . Also if it does work to install a 305 flywheel, will this same set up work with a 383 with slightly higher compression? Or will it not have enough umph? Thanks for ANY input guys.

--Adam

2. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

as long as the starter and flywheel match, there should be no problem, what was happening to the "305" starters?

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

last i knew thay were the same for small and big block. just need to have small fly wheel or big flywhel pattern. if you keep eating them your flywheel might be bad now and not helping them. also i have never realy had to shim my starters.

4. nau81blazer

Thanks for the input guys! I did replace the old flywheel about 4-5 years ago...........too bad I can't remember if it was a 350 or 305..............Anyway, even when I replaced the fly wheel it was still grinding a little bit. Why do you think a 350 starter doesn't fit in the bell housing??

The starters do one of two things: Either the soleniod goes bad (which means a I get a new one from warranty!) or the housing of the starter cracks.......which i don't get a new one?. Any ideas? Manufacture glitch? Something stupid i'm missing?

Thanks,
    --Adam

5. 85k30

85k30 Registered Member

is your flyheel or flexplate have 168 teeth or 153 teeth? if its 168 the starter bolts should be staggered. if its 153 the starter bolts would be straight across. alot of 305's came with 153 teeth. you could have the wrong starter

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

How does it eat them ? Perhaps the solenoids go bad . Do you have headers ?

As for fitment , they do sell shims . I have had to shim 2 in my lifetime .

7. nau81blazer

Ya, it seems like the flywheel gonna be my problem. It's odd though b/c when I get a brand new starter, it cranks over nice and smooth for about a month. Then once it starts to act up it just gets worse and worse. I guess i'll have to drop the trans and take a look sometime soon :( . I don't have headers, just stock exaust. Thanks for the input guys.

--Adam