Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Th350 Can a do-it-yourselfer rebuild it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by conoverbandit, Jan 9, 2003.

1. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Hey y'all I can't seem to locate a TH350 around here, so I think I'll try my hand at rebuilding the one I got......I think, Can a "back yard" type feller rebuild one of these things? I've always pulled'em out and just put working one's in thier place. Some people I've talked to (localy) say it's not to bad,but others say it's way to complex a thing to try to undertake...Opnions? options? I've had several people tell me to get a Th350 "shorty" and unbolt the rear housing off it and put it on my 203..Will this work? Need ideas,opnion's,HELP.

Thanks,Conover

2. swampthang1

swampthang1 Registered Member

rebuild it!!!! It is easy it will only go back together one way just be sure when you pull it apart you stack all the parts up like thet come out to make it eaasy I just rebuilt mine the local shops here wanted anywhere from 500-950 to rebuild it Cost was 140 for the kit PLus I got a new T.C. for 50 and trans fluid and this thing kicks A$$ it works great I will always rebuild my own from now on

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

90% of automadic transmission failure is do to over heating. Now what did that heat do ???? Did ya catch it when it first started slipping ??? Sometimes a good cleaning and new inturnal seals is all it'll need, other times it'll need more. You won't know till you get it apart. I'd say pull it apart and try it. Worse case you'll just have to take it to a tranny shop or find a different tranny.

4. conoverbandit

Nope, pulled the pan hoping for a fluid/filter change and all I found was paper clutch pieces /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif It won't move anymore /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif got to be overhauled.

5. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

A turbo 350 is relatively easy to rebuild. Only thing that requires special tools are the bushings, lots of people get by without changing them and most kits come without them but they should always be changed in 4wd's because the direct drum and sun gear bushings take a side load that causes accelerated wear when the trans is manually shifted to the secondgear position. If you want to know everything about a turbo 350 buy "Turbo Hydramatic 350 Handbook" by Ron Sessions, HP Books published it and I think Summit carries it. Step by step rebuilding, diagnosis and performance mods and WHY they should be done.

6. conoverbandit

Cool! I got one of them hane's books, I opened it looked at all the gut's that's in one of them things and have'nt opened it since (scared me)lol.

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Rebuilding a tranny isn't all that hard. It just takes time and patience. I just ordered the rebuild manuals from the Jegs catalog, and went step by step.
    On a clean table lay out a bunch of newspaper and keep everything in order the way it comes out... it should go back together just as easy.
    You will need some tools to do this, you might not have..
    Dial indicator, in lbs. torque wrench, feeler gauges, a clutch hub compressor tool...
    The clutch hub compressor tool isn't absoulutly necessary we found you can get by without it, but it is helpful.
    You'll need to measure input shaft and output shaft endplay with the dial indicator. Planetary clearances you'll check with feeler gauges. You'll need some good picks and screwdrivers to get the snap rings out of the case, and for the clutch hubs.

I go with the B&M master racing overhaul kits in my TH350 and TH400, and i've had good luck with those kits, come with all new gaskets and seals, a bushing kit, and high performance clutches, steels, and bands.
    I put a B&M stage 2 shift kit in while i rebuilt the TH350 in my blazer and i like it's chirps and slams. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

By the way guys, please read the first post that says PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST.
    There is a thread that I answered just yesterday, and I put a link that takes you to a thread that I found with the search button that is the same question, and has answers that should cover everything.
    I know you are a newbie, but at least read the posts that are active on the first page before you post.
    The time I take to answer five similar questions, I could be helping someone that has a new question.
    More interesting to me and helpfull to him.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Here it is.
    Yesterday's thread
    You will say it's a 700, well all automatics are similar.
    If you can rebuild one you can rebuild them all, the 700 is a little more delicate.
    You can get a video or a manual and a kit, it's easy.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I finished mine last week (all but bolting the valve body back on). I have yet to find the time to put it back in the truck. It wasn't too hard...just teadious.

11. conoverbandit

Sorry, I was looking for some personial encouragement here, never done anything like this before, but now I think I'm ready to try. Thanks for the help&encouragement.