Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 Cooler line broken (oops), few other Q's???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bobsurf, Feb 27, 2003.

1. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

TH350 Cooler line broken (oops), few other Q\'s???

Getting ready to drop the Tranny and I broke the top cooler line right after it leaves the tranny (I'm an idiot, /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif). Did some searching and it appears that this is the return line from the cooler, correct???? Figured I'll either hunt down a new steel line from www.inlinetube.com or www.classictube.com or make my own with the double flare/bender kits.

While I have everything out, I figure I might as well install a temp gauge and possibly auxillary cooler. Seems like there's different schools of thought as to where those should be installed (pan, sending line, return line, etc). Thoughts?

Also, is the dipstick tube just pressed into the tranny case? Can I just use a soft hammer on the bottom (pan out) to ease it out? I don't really want to pry it out via the flared seat and damage the seal.

Thanks

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Re: TH350 Cooler line broken (oops), few other Q\'s???

#1. I'd just get a matching 5-6' piece of straight hard line from a parts store and bend your own. Much cheaper than prebent lines in my experience...

#2. Install the cooler on the return line. The radiator will only cool it so far seeing as the coolant is in there heating it up too... so install it on the return side where the aux cooler can continue to cool the fluid further.

#3. The dipstick in the trans fits into a bushing. There is also a bolt that holds the tube to the bell housing. Be sure to take that out before you tug on it... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif other than that, you should be able to remove it with one good yank! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hope that helps...

-Dan

3. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Thanks Dan,

After doing some more reading, I'm thinking about eliminating the radiator cooler all together. I live in a warm climate and don't have to worry about getting the ATF up to operating temperature.

Another side question for all those out there with auxiliary coolers. Did you make your own steel tubing for the new lines you need to the cooler, or just use a high grade rubber/teflon hose? Seems to be some differing opinions on that.

By the way, I've fallen in love with the search button. It works great if you select the "And" option instead of "Entire phrase". I don't think people realize this.

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

The threads are standard NPT (I THINK). I had some Thread on one side and a nipple on the other. Connected a 3/8" Fuel pressure hose to my External cooler. Worked great, for four years.

Obviously you lose the benefits of the hard line line acting as a cooler too...sooo.

Or just simple flair the one side of the broken hard line, put the nipple on the other inside the tranny and connect the two. Voila'

Make sure it is FUel Pressure line, and not the less pressure tolerant carb fuel line.

Good luck.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My friend did the samething he just cut the line after it left the tranny and before the input to the radiator and replaced it with hose on my idea. He used the same type of black hose they give you with an aftermarket radiator cooler. Just get a good length of it and replace the hardlines. Not sure fi it will pass inspection for you but it will work.