Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 HELP!!!! UPDATE

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by southernspeed, Apr 10, 2004.

1. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Rebuilt the box with a TCI pro super kit. Drove fine at first. Started to drive it a bit harder through the gears after about 10 miles. Not flooring it but giving it a bit more sort of normal use. Without warning I lose forward gears. Still have P R and N working as normal. After about 20 mins if i put it in 1 it sort of rattles a bit when I gas it then tries to lurch backwards momentarily like it's dropping in to reverse. The selecter mech is all fine externally.
    The kick down cable had stuck open(extended)Problem?? Made no diff pushing it back.
    Also, I had a leak from the dipstick tube-I broke the o ring when fitting it. When I replaced it today it looked like some of the o ring is missing. But if this had dropped into the pan surely it wouldn't do any harm as it can't get past the filter screen.
    Any ideas greatly appreciated. I am not happy! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Wanted more than 10 miles out of a tranny rebuild!! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    OK!!! Dropped the pan and found some sludge a few tiny bits of metal. But at the top of the casing on the outside, just rear of the bellhousing on the left there is a 1/2 inch whole that has leaked oil. It looks loike there should be a core plug or something there but I can see into the trans (I think!) What should be there??/what blew it out...or maybe I should say why as I know high pressure must have blown it out! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: TH350 HELP!!!!

Fluid level is full eh?
    If you have movement in reverse you can be pretty sure that the oil pump is still working and building pressure for the tranny.
    If you lost all the foreward gears like 10 miles after rebuilding the tranny its probably something pretty serious internally. It should be pretty obvious what failed when you inspect it. Probably something with the foreward clutches.
    It would be nice if it was just foreward clutch seal or valve body leaking or something.

I did the same on my th 400.. 20 miles later, got a bang and seemed to lose 2nd, tried to limp it home and 3rd went out, 1st was almost gone by the time i made it home.. that time it turned out a snap ring broke and let the drums slam around in the tranny case.. destroyed about half the internals and the tranny case. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Ya bro, what Ryan said, pull the pan and let the carnage free......
    You gotta look anyway, might just be the other side of the shift linkage /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifer sometin. Pan R&R will tell alot. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. southernspeed

I know I gotta look...just scared to!! Anyone had same symptoms??? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. southernspeed

Anyone??? No one?!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. v-3500

v-3500 Registered Member

Sounds like something came loose in the trans. It sounds like the ring gear is moving around and partially grabbing a hold of the reverse clutch band, which is why it is lurching backwards momentarily. When messing with a daily driver, I am a firm believer in leaving transmissions, transfer cases, and differentials to the professionals, unless you are working with project only vehicle, and willing to put a lot of time, money into broken parts, and experimenting, in order to become proficient with trannys, transfer cases, and differentials.

7. southernspeed

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like something came loose in the trans. It sounds like the ring gear is moving around and partially grabbing a hold of the reverse clutch band, which is why it is lurching backwards momentarily. When messing with a daily driver, I am a firm believer in leaving transmissions, transfer cases, and differentials to the professionals, unless you are working with project only vehicle, and willing to put a lot of time, money into broken parts, and experimenting, in order to become proficient with trannys, transfer cases, and differentials.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not familier with any of those components in a TH350 /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif but I hear what you're saying although this isn't my DD and I've done all my own work for 25+ years-this just happens to be my first auto trans rebuild.

8. southernspeed

[ QUOTE ]
    But at the top of the casing on the outside, just rear of the bellhousing on the left there is a 1/2 inch whole that has leaked oil. It looks loike there should be a core plug or something there but I can see into the trans (I think!) What should be there??/what blew it out...or maybe I should say why as I know high pressure must have blown it out! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Has anyone got a trans on the floor and can tell me what should be in that whole or if they know where it leads to (what circuit). Thanks.