Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 information needed, help plz .

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Project, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Project

Project Registered Member

Hey guys,
    well i found a rebuilt turbo 350 tranny for 325 bucks and i'm gonna pick it up sunday morning, the guy told me he has the long shaft and short shaft . i'm gonna use the np 208 with it so wich one is the righ one? how about the splines?any difference?
    also i need to know what kind of shifter i should go with(i just need a simple floor shifter) and where to get it from.
    i have a sm465 and np 208 now and willing to sell'em after i done this swap so if anybody interested let me i 'll let'em go cheap.

2. G.M.H

G.M.H Registered Member

I am not 100% positive but I think the long shaft was only used in 2wd vehicles.I have a B&M starshifter in mine and I really like it.It has a very positive feel to no sloppiness to it at all,unlike my factory column shifter where I had to wait for the "clunk" to know if it was in gear.It has a ratchet feature which I don't really need,but is fun in the city.The install was very easy due to the cable system.I highly recommend it.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

there are three lengths

2wd used 6"and 9" with a tailshaft housing

the 4wd used a shorty stubby with no tailshaft housing

if it has a tailsdhaft housing then its not for 4x4and hasto be 100% guttedand output shaft replaced with a shorty stubby 4x4output shaft and 4x4donmot use a output tailshaft housing

4. Project

i was reading all posts about b&m shifters on this board, it seems to be the best choice.this is a picture of the tranny, is it short shaft or long????? [​IMG]

5. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

it looks like a 4wd version to me. notice u can not see the tail shaft sticking out. if it was a 2wd there would be a lot hanging out there. the tranny does not have a tail housing either (not that that is a good way to tell what it is for).

6. Project

well the uy told me i need a adapter to mount the 208 case on this tranny, but the 203 will bolt right up.i know the 203 is full time case, but is it a good transfer case????

7. the professor

the professor 1/2 ton status

The 203 has the "adapter" as the front of the transfer case.. its the tranfer/transmission mount...
    --
    That trans looks like it has a 4x4 shaft, they only stick out about 3/4 inch, but it is not a 4x4 case.. 4x4 cases are thicker and have a large "K" cast on the top of the case....
    --
    Make absolutely sure you use the brace for the transfer case.. this case WILL crack without it..
    /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif