Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 Kickdown Cable Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by klier, Jul 26, 2000.

1. klier

klier Registered Member

And one more question for you guys on the K5 forum.

I have a TH350 Tranny with the kickdown cable. After swapping intake manifolds and carbs (upgraded to 4-bbl Holley), the Kickdown cable is now disconnected and is basically laying on the back of the manifold. It looks like it is too short to connect any where on the carb. Since this swap was done before I purchased it, I'd like to know if anyone has any information on ways to lengthen the cable, and also information on where and how the cable attaches to the carbuerator. (Pictures would be very helpful).

Thanks a lot! You guys have been very helpful with answering my questions with your input.

Brian Klier
    '86 Blazer K5 Hybrid - http://kliernetwork.net/truckproject
    Faribault, Minnesota
    klier@lakes.com

2. klier

klier Registered Member

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Holly should have a kit to hook it back up and I recomend you do so. Some of those cables not only were the kick down signal they were a sort of a regulator for the shift points. The would let the tranny know how much throttle was being given like a TPS. If your 700r4 is one of those styles your loosing power without it.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

4. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

the th350 kick down cable has an adjuster with a clip that you pry up to adjust the cable that might give you enough room and you should have a bracket that bolts on to the back of the intake manifold that is where your adjuster is at and you should have a screw on nipple on your carb linkage to connect your cable or you might have to buy that nipple and after you get it all conneted you need to pry up the clip on the adjuster get someone to mash the gas pedal to the floor (engine not running) and then push the clip back down and it should be adjusted

smp

5. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Check with a tranny shop and have them hook one up. they make a universal type cable for the 350 that you cut the inner cable to length and put a barrel type clip on and before the clip you put the connector for your carb. I had to order the little mipple for my rochester from edelbrock, cost about 5 bucks. This is the 3rd vehicle I have had to dod that to so I bought 2. kickdown cable is important for internal tranny pressure as I am sure some of the more mechaically inclined guys on here can tell you.

6. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

what kind of power loss can be associated with a screwed up cable linkage such as this kind? i think my 700r4 has this problem. sometimes it won't shift down like it should, and it just feels like the carb is bogging.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The proper procedure to adjust the cable is as follows and does not require 2 people to do.
    1 connect the cable to the throttle arm.
    2 pry up the adjuster ratchet release. This will allow the spring on the cable take up the slack in the cable.
    3 push the release back down.
    4 With the engine off with the gas peddle give it full throttle. It will adjust to the correct tennsion on its own. It does not require a person to push the release back down while another person is holding the throttle. It has a ratchet arrangment that will lock it to the correct setting.
    Any time you remove the carb or play with the linkages it is a good idea to readjust the cable. Sorry I wasn't paying attention to the fact he had a TH350 but the TH350C (lock up converter) may be more like the 700R and it may use the throttle input to calculate engagement of the lock up converter. My rebuild manual on the TH350 does indicate some of the 350's did use the cable for more than just kick down.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/