Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350 - no 2 & 3rd gear?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hungryjpr, Mar 5, 2002.

1. hungryjpr

hungryjpr Registered Member

I recently swapped in a TH350/np203. I can feel the tranny shift into gear when I put it in "D", but it doesn't go. 2nd is pretty much the same (almost goes), but in 1st it works fine (so does reverse). I can shift into 2nd, then 3rd once I'm up to speed, & they drive fine. Any ideas on why this is?
    Additional related info:
    All testing done in 2wlo.
    I have the vacuum line hooked up, but not the kickdown due to it being a conversion. I'd like to have the kickdown run for as a manual line if it will work that way.
    Running 42" TSL's. Too much for the TH350?
    Please help - I need to get this thing on the trail!!!
    Matt B

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Is the motor reving when you say it won't go? Have you checked the fluid level?

3. hungryjpr

Yes, motor revs up. Basically slips in gear, except 1st. !st is very responsive.
    Matt B

4. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Mine tranny does the same thing. All the vacuum lines hooked up and I can only get lo gear in 2wd. From what I read on here, its time for a rebuild or a TH400.

I'm swapping in a TH400 NP205 as we speak.

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Check fluid level!

I'll find out what else it could be by looking through a manual later on for ya.

If it is slipping it sounds like its burning up the tranny clutches dude.

6. hungryjpr

I'm running 2 auxiliary coolers (1 quarts each) plus using 5/8" ID lines to/from each. It took at least 2 gallons to fill the system (can't remember how much though). I checked fluid level, it was fine.
    AFA the clutches, that's what I was afraid of. This was not a brand new tranny - I had it laying around from an old 'burb that got rolled. Hopefully I can get at least a shakedown run outta this one before it's gone.

7. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

One time i accidently knocked my tranny into Neutral, then just put it back in gear without letting the motor rev back down, i heard a Big ass BANG, then my tranny started doing the same thing you described, put it in 1st to get going then have to manually go to Drive, when i had it rebuilt, The "Lower Reverse sprag" was cracked all the way through...... just my expierience