Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

th350 normal operating temp w/o tranny cooler

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77Jimmy, Sep 22, 2003.

1. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I don't have a tranny cooler...what should my normal operating temp be? I'm consistently at or around 200, sometimes 210. I'm thinking this is high. Tranny cooler is my next purchase...how much will it drop the temp?

If I was a pint or two low on tranny fluid, would that cause the temp to be higher? I'm thinking yes. (Been struggling w/ getting the fluid level correct, and yes, am checking when the fluid is warm)

One last dumb question...what happens to the tranny fluid level, let's say overnight? Meaning, when I come out in the morning and check the fluid level (have not started the engine), it seems like the fluid level is way above the full mark, but then when I start it the fluid level barely touches the bottom of the stick. Am I crazy? Someone told me that when you start it, the fluid gets sucked back into the system.

Thanks in advance! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. grunt11b40x

grunt11b40x 1/2 ton status

the toqure converter will leak down over night and that is why the stick says over full. once you start her up the pump will kick in and refill the converter. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. FWP

FWP CRS

It depends on where the temp is being measured, and outside ambient temp. Post up the details /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

plus it wont stay in the radiator tank either, you know a bunchof it wil ifnd its way back into the case but may not make it to the pan which is where the stick reads from.

5. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help so far, guys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'm learning. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ok, here are some more details. Outside temp is 85 degrees. I'm checking the fluid level on level ground, tranny in neutral, and when I've been driving around enough for the fluid temp to come up to about 180 degrees. I put a tranny temp guage/plug in the bottom of the pan (not in the side of the pan). Maybe the guage/plug is picking up false readings? But I did a lot of research on this one on the site here before I picked a place to put it in so I wouldn't get false readings.

6. detailer03

detailer03 1/2 ton status

I worked for a GM dealer for many years. GM says "normal operating temp between 200 and 210 degrees".
    As far as the tranny you only should check it warm while engine is running. If you think it is running too hot, change the thermostat to a 165. I live in AZ, trust me it makes a difference. Put a tranny cooler in it. That will cool it down also.

7. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

And by the way, welcome to CK5! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Great to see orange w/ low posts. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

200-210 is about the max you want to run it. At that sort of heat the seals are starting to harden. At 200 the rate a tranny at about 100k at 300f they rate a tranny in hours.

Personnaly I like to see mine around 160f. With the big stack plate cooler made by Hayden at Pepgirls Highest temp I have ever seen was 210f. I was towing a car on a long up hill streach between Knoxville and Chattanooga. Semis were down to 45mph I ran up it at about 55-60. it was bac down to about 180 after a mile.

9. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

220/221 whatever it takes.

10. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

definetly invest in a cooler. not the tube & fin style, they suck. also, i think your supposed to check the fluid with the tranny in gear? i could be wrong. good luck

11. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    220/221 whatever it takes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats great! Ha!