Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TH350/NP203 to SM465/NP205: Crossmember, drivelines?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pvfjr, Mar 31, 2004.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I was just wondering if anyone knew what I would have to do to my crossmember and drivelines for this conversion. It's all going into a 78 Stepside K10. I already have all the other parts together (I think). I just want to try and have it all worked out before I go and do it.

2. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Welcome to "CK5"!

I'm no expert, but I do know that I needed a different crossmember when I switched from a 203 to a 205. I am under the impression that it may be a year/model thing. The later model crossmember may be the one that has one of the transmission mount holes slotted so it will fit both. The crossmember that was under the 203 that came in my '74 K5 had no slot and wouldn't fit the 205. it could have been modified, but KB Transmission(These guys took great care of me again) in Mesa, AZ had the slotted one.

Later,
    Allan Greenblazer /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

So does that mean I'm going to have to get different transmission mounts? I read the tech article by Henry Larson about this conversion (its on the home page), and he mentioned something about spacers. I couldn't figure out if he was putting them between the crossmember and frame or the crossmember and transmission mount.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

All 73-84 trucks use the same crossmember and transmission mounts reguardless of transfer case.

I had my rear driveshaft made because my truck is somewhat of an oddball wheelbase and I wanted 1350 joints.

I used a stock front driveshaft for a while throughly, througly clearancing the CV for additional angle.

PM me if you need a front shaft, I've got two of them, one has a well worn slip yoke, the other is like brand new, both have brand new joints (Neapco in the sloppy shaft, Spicers in the tight one).