Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

th350/np205 adapter-- bearing or no bearing!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mike reeh, Apr 22, 2007.

1. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

I have seen pics of the 350/205 adapter that have a bearing "installed"... i have also seen pics of the adapter w/o mention of a bearing...

the adapter that Im using doesnt have a bearing, and I dont really think theres ROOM for a bearing... It does have 2 seals, though... but Ive always had some wierdness related to that adapter.. the seals never stay in and it always leaks ATF into the transfer case..... Was there a design change at some point during production? Who knows what?

mike
    np205.org

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Design change.

Older rigs had the bearing.

Newer ones had the two seals.

You cannot install a bearing or seal in the opposite. Different sizes. Unless you do machine work to fit one or the other into them.

I'm not real sure where the cut-off year is from the switch. I'm gonna go with '77 as thats the split between the "first" and "second" design drivetrains.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

dont forget the seals go in backwards from normal. i made this mistake. keept adding atf all the time and draining tcase fluid out. :doah:

the seal needs to kep oil in the tranny and then in the tcase. so back side of seal with lip and spring showing when installed if i do recall correctly.

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

1972 was the last year that I have seen for the adapter bearing applications .

Tom

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I did a swap from a 700R4/208 to a 350/205 for a customer once and the 350/205 came out of a '76 truck. I noticed this adaptor had the bearing instead of a seal. This is when I noticed the difference in two different adaptors. Even the tag on the 205 said '76 also.

6. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

my 75 had the 2 seal non-bearing type. i (like tom) always thought the bearing style was 72 & back. no telling i guess.

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

According to the BCA bearing books that I have 1972 was the last year but that does not mean that GM did not use it in later applications. The bearings in the adapter so it could be attacthed to any year 350/205 as long as the coupling sleeve was the bearing style ( or machined down ).
    I have had several 350/205 ranging from 1973 , 1975 and 1976 and none of them had the bearing in the adapter. Who knows what GM did ???

8. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info, guys.. i knew i could count on you.